Monsters Across America: A State-By-State Guide

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
A Map of Monsters In America

Jan 24, 2015 6:00 PM
Rheana Murray

If you think Big Bird is just a character on Sesame Street, think again.

It's also a monstrous, flying beast that's been terrorizing residents of Texas' Rio Grand Valley, apparently. That's according to a "cryptozoological map of the United States," which proves that it's not all about Bigfoot and the Loch Ness Monster (who is in Scotland and can't get you).

Take the legendary Chupacabra in the Southwest, or the Beast of Busco, a giant snapping turtle in Indiana. Yeah, you read that right. A giant killer turtle.

There's also the Lizard Man of Scape Ore Swamp in South Carolina, and Mothman in West Virginia.

Artist Mark Adams of Philadelphia told the Daily Mail that he drew each creature by hand. "The map is a bit of a declaration of optimism and wonderment as to what might be possible on planet Earth," Adams said in the interview. Monsters in America: A cryptozoological map of the United States | Daily Mail Online

Adams added that he was particularly drawn to the "carnivores and predatory cats," as opposed to the birds and sea monsters.

We have to admit that some of map's so-called monsters don't sound that scary. Case in point: Cassie, the sea serpent who's apparently been swimming around the Casco Bay in Maine. Or, Pukwudgie, the "small, bipedal humanoid" from Massachusetts. He kind of looks like an Ewok.

See more of the map (and order one for your home and car, just in case you need to identify a monster) at Hog Island Press in Philadelphia. Hog Island Press, Philadelphia

image.jpg

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
The map is wrong. Vermont should have a drawing of my ex-wife:munky2:

VPR

LOL! I remember, when I was about 18... was gonna go camping in the Pine Barrens & look for the Jersey Devil; got distracted by GIRLS! HA! Maybe LATER, I thought. Soon to be 64 (singing THAT song by the Beatles); DON'T care, now... y'all can have her (Jersey Devil). LOVE the map, tho... "interest" of mine. "Google" BIGFOOT in Virginia... know of one on Skyline Drive (Shenandoah National Park), above Greene County, Va. PROBABLY FED Rangers in "APE" suits... dunno.

Last edited:

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Now you are "Digging" in "My Back Yard"!

Yeti.jpg

Although not every "Monster" stays in America there is one in "Russia" that is very "Notorious".

That Monster is the "Yeti"!

This is one of the 10 Mysteries of the World and is called " The Mystery of the Dyatlov Hikers

Dyatlov Pass incident - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I have thought of the unfortunate and unexplained deaths of these students for some time and as Spock said in Star Trek – quoted from Sherlock Holmes “… when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth…”

I originally thought that it may have been the Russian Army with concussion bombs that were dropped on them by accident.
The Army had used this location for secret tests.

Some mention that the Army secretly arrived at the crime scene 1 week before the rescuers found the bodies.

This could answer a few of the mysteries but not all!

Why their tent was on the side of the mountain and not logically down at the tree line for shelter and fire wood?
The Army could have moved the tent up the mountain to change the crime scene.

Why there was radioactive material on some of the clothing and why they were not wearing any protective clothes for the harsh climate?
The Army could have changed their clothes and confiscated clothing which showed being radioactive.

Though all good explanations, I do believe there is only one explanation that holds up to all the facets of this case!

Yeti or Abominable Snow Man - Encounter!

On research I found that the small tent used was not their main tent.

They had left supplies at a base camp and were using this very small tent for an excursion.

What was their purpose for climbing the Ural mountain range?
I googled Russian news broadcast for the past year (1958) and found an interesting account of Yeti encounters on this range. That year a number of local Mansi tribe people disappeared.
After an investigation, the Russian Government banned all further reporting on the Yeti with threats of incarceration.

These students may have been acting as investigating reporters and photographers and needed a cover to conceal their true purpose.

The one person they added to their close group was a guide familiar with the territory.

A note on a printed paper in their possession was scribbled “From now on we know that the snow men exist”.

Although they used guns to protect themselves in the wilderness for previous trips (pictures show), they did not carry any this time in case they were stopped and questioned.

Whatever attacked them in their tent did not bite or claw but had extreme power to crush.

A similar attack at Yale BC in the 1800’s by some gold miners who claimed to have captured a baby Sasquatch and in Washington State 1920’s of an attack:

In 1946 Cultus Lake BC a newlywed couple disappeared from their cabin with only large footprints found surrounding the cabin.

Case Scenario
The illogical pitching of their tent in the open rather than down at the tree line may have been due to a scare from the locals at the last settlement.
Towns’ people warned them about reindeer having been found dead in this area.
They may have felt more secure making camp in the open rather than down within the trees.
After setting up camp they would have taken off their boots and put their heavy outer wear outside to dry.
Due to the limited space within the tent they more than likely stored this gear along with their skies and pack sacks in the overhang where the chimney exits.
They then entered the tent using their long johns and tent slippers inside and had supper.
Shortly after supper, two of the men went outside to urinate (documented) with a flashlight, which they left on the roof of the tent (documented) and a lighter and cigarettes to have a smoke.
It was written in their diary that the women did not want them smoking in the hotel rooms or tent.
While outside they were attacked and forced to flee down to the forest for cover.
There they built a fire for warmth, to notify the others and to keep any predators away.
On hearing the commotion outside the tent, 3 of the students with a flashlight went to help and were also attacked.
Unable to reach their outerwear at the back of the tent they too fled down the mountain.
The Yeti then centered their attack on the 4 remaining students left in the tent.
The Yeti being unable to open the tent door or cut through began to pound on the center of the tent while the students inside sliced their knives back through the tent in defense.
It’s been reported that Yeti can use sticks and may have poked through the open slits of the tent with one of the ski poles as it was documented that numerous knife cuts were found on one of the ski poles.
The Yeti attack temporarily stopped when they saw the fire down at the tree line and the 3 students heading towards it with the flashlight (documented and found on this trail still in the on position).
It has been reported that the Yeti are not afraid of fire or light.
The Yeti then caught the 3 students before they could reach the tree line.
Yeti use their large powerful arms to club and then bear hug their quarry until subdued and unconscious, all similar injuries reported on the students.
Forensic Investigators state that when a body is suffocated the blood does not pool back to the organs, but stays at the extremities. The discoloring of the skin seen on the students at their funeral could have been caused by this injury.
Seeing that the fire was attracting the Yeti the 2 students at the tree tried to frantically put it out, it was reported that one of these student’s hands were burnt by this action.
Next they proceeded to climb a tree.
The report claimed they had climbed the tree to observe if their tent was still there to return to.
The problem with this statement is that it was after sunset, in winter, in Russia.
I googled if there was a full moon that night and it shows that there was no moon visible, so it would have been pitch dark.
The only reason to climb a tree at night would be to try and elude a predator.
Sasquatches have been reported with the ability to climb trees.
One of the students was found a few hundred feet from the tree still clutching a branch, as though he had been dragged down from the tree.
When the remaining 4 students of the group did arrive at the tree, they found their companions dead. They proceeded to remove what clothing they could to keep warm rather than return to their tent and what was back there.
They then went to a ravine and dug a snow cave for shelter.
Unfortunately the Yeti were waiting for them in the forest and pursued them, cornering them at the ravine some short distance away.

There has now been a statement that a Yeti Foot print was found at the scene..

The Yeti/Sasquatch have a very large bipedal foot, much like a “Bear Paw Snow Shoe” which leaves a very flat shallow print.
These prints could easily have disappeared with weather conditions.

The final explanation may be the hardest to believe and that is - Why have no further sightings or findings been made of Yeti in this location?

With all of our technologies, these mountains and the world in general have become a lot smaller, but the Universe is immense and unknown.

There were unexplained lights in the sky seen by other observers.

Strange creatures have been reported all over the world with similar globe light occurrences
(Kentucky Goblin Encounter,Chupacabras, Ogopogo, Lochness Monster, and other such things).

Many documented encounters with Sasquatch have been reported with similar globe lights seen around their vicinity.

Could it be that there are time portals throughout the Universe and these creatures accidentally pass through them?
One such strange occurrence happened in Manila in 1593 where a guard was suddenly transported to Mexico City

Could UFO’s seen in the area be trying to relocate these Yetis back to their rightful locations?

Could a nuclear blast such as the 1957-58 Russian accidental nuclear explosion at Kyshtym ( just a few miles south of Oblast Swerdlowsk where these students were) cause a rip in our universe?
This accident reportedly killed 1000’s of people and contaminated a 100 square kilometer area with high level radiation.

Could the radiation on their clothing have come from physical contact with these entities or the terrain itself?

All in all strange and unexplained things happen and it is left up to us to ponder what the truth might be.
Thanks for your ability to have your mind open to care for an explanation for these unfortunate beings.

Last edited:

sdcfia

Silver Member
Sep 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Anybody have any cryptozoological sightings to report? Bigfoot has his own thread in this category - started by Oro - and rightfully so, he deserves it. I've had two non-bigfoot weird experiences myself. One was a "thunderbird" sighting - not all that uncommon here in southwest New Mexico - which I detailed in an earlier post in another category. I'll try to find that if I can and repost it here. The other is "the snake", below.

I was out in the hills maybe 18-20 years ago scouting around when a big rainstorm came it, dumping an inch or two of rain pretty quickly. I got under an overhang and rode it out without getting too wet, but since it looked like more was coming, I decided to hike back to the truck - two or three miles. On the way back, the runoff was still sheet-flowing down the hillsides and the arroyos were all running. About a quarter mile from the truck, I was crossing a flattish area not far from a large arroyo when I noticed a big flow of water coming out of some bushes - about as much water as you'd see from a 4" fire hose, more or less. I thought this was strange because there was no surface flow above the bushes to supply so much water. I was curious about where the water was coming from, so I walked over to have a look.

There was about a four-foot deep ditch cut into the relatively soft ground leading downhill from the bushes. I had walked by this small drainage dozens of times in the past and it had always been dry before, even on rainy days. The water seemed to be coming out from below the bushes, but not from any surface flow above. It was coming from underground, somewhere under the bushes. I figured that the water must be piping through sort of underground channel, so I went to the cut bank where the arroyo began behind the bushes. I saw that if I was careful, I could hop down to a rock, avoid the water coming out and peek back into the space behind the bushes and try to see where the water was coming from. So I did.

It was dark back in there, but I could see that the water had worn a channel next to some rocks and had created the beginning of kind of a mini-cave. The water flows must have somehow been diverted upstream years ago and formed this underground path. There were roots showing on the ceiling of this thing and kind of a rock ledge formed on the right side. I had a flashlight and I wanted to see how far back this thing went, so I grabbed on to the bushes and pulled myself deeper into the opening, being careful not to slip into the water. The ground was solid all around me so I kind of slithered my way back on that ledge about another five feet and extended my arm to put the light ahead of me when I saw something big, black and shiny right in front of me.

I froze for a couple seconds, trying to register in my mind what I was looking at. It had a head about as big as a turkey platter with wide-set eyes looking right at me. It's body was stretched out along the ledge, back into the darkness, I don't know how far, but it's body was easily as big around as my thigh. The last thing I remember in that hole was that it was alive and maybe big enough to eat me. The next thing I remember is that I was standing on the ground, breathing so hard I thought I was going to pass out. I don't have any memory of backing out of that hole, getting through the bushes and up to ground level again. My hat was gone, my flashlight was gone, I had some bleeding scratches, and when I caught my breath, I picked up my pack and damn near ran to the truck.

Below is the exact location in case any of you are ever in the neighborhood. Since that day, I passed that spot many more times and never went anywhere near it again. Each time I think about it ... well, I try not to think about it too much ... I guess I try to convince myself that this thing was some kind of boa constrictor or python or something - someone's pet that escaped and was living in the wild. My snake buddies (well, the one who's still alive anyway) said, "No way. Not there. It's too cold in the winter." By the way, if any of you do happen to wiggle into that hole, please see if you can retrieve my flashlight - a nice Maglight - OK?

snake.png

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gracias SDC. Sounds like the critter that I saw up at Tubares on my hunt for the lost Gloria Pan mine.The herpetologists will deny it of course The university that I contacted didn't even ackowledge my Letter.

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
HA! Think "SNOOKY"! NJ GAL...

Well, ya got a point! After all, the theme of this thread is Monsters in America!

However, I must admit that if none of my friends saw me I'd slip off with her in a New Jersey Minute :-P

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Add-On...Were these Hikers Killed over a Treasure Hunt...Gone very bad!

Yeti.jpg

I am still convinced my theory as to the deaths of the Dyatlov Hikers were caused by the Yeti or the Menkvi as known by the local Mansi.

I am now though changing my theory as to the reasons why these Students were going to this particular Mountain.

The reports stated that the Hikers were on a vacation and were there to ski.

I had previously stated that they were there as undercover investigating reporters to obtain more information to why numerous Mansi Hunters the year prior had disappeared and to try and prove that this disappearance had something to do with the Yeti.

Both these statements I believe lack logic.

The Hikers showed a lack of knowledge and preparedness if their plan was to deal with the Yeti.

They were unaware that Yeti could climb trees and were unafraid of fire.

The Hikers were not very concerned with how aggressive the Yeti could be if provoked by trespassing.

These Hikers did not go armed with rifles, as previous pictures showed.

When these Students made statements that they thought they saw a Yeti stalking them, they did not make camp there to try and initiate contact.

No, logic dictates that these were not the reasons for going this great distance and endurance to arrive at Kholat Syakhl, or Mountain of the Dead.

I believe the reason and logic lies with the odd man out who was added to their group… Alexander Zolotarev.

Sasha as he was known, was older and not part of this group, a Russian war hero, who was stationed in the Urals as a soldier.

With his connections as a tourist guide and working with the Mansi, I believe he came across some valuable information.

This information was the location of the Treasure of the Golden Woman of Ugra.

goldenwoman1.jpg

This legend is of a woman god cast in gold along with her treasures, that was secured by the Mansi in a cave in the mountains, prior to the Cossack’s conquest.

I believe this was the true reason these Hikers were on this Mountain!

The Winter cold allows the best conditions for access to the Mountain.

It is strange that Mansi Legend states that this Golden Idol and her Treasures are protected by the Menkvi or the Yeti, as we know them!

Last edited:

sdcfia

Silver Member
Sep 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Spring 2004. After finding many good things (rock corrals, building ruins, strange petroglyphs) in what some folks call Prospector's Canyon in New Mexico's Cookes Range, D__ P___ and I followed the wash northwest through a cut in a vertical escarpment known as The Centipede into a canyon known by some as Sappo Canyon (looks like a big frog from a distance). The Centipede walled in the canyon on the east and south sides. These three place names are not on any maps, but all are on the south flanks of Rattlesnake Ridge, which is on the maps. Here's an overview of the range, looking south to better define the topo.

cookes.jpg

We came into Sappo Canyon and turned southwest, following the base of the escarpment, finding some very cool rock pointers and a few petroglyphs. Then we backtracked to the mouth of the canyon and headed north, following the main wash. We branched off in a side drainage and found a very interesting carved pointer on a prominent boulder after a bit (about 6200 ft elevation). We stopped there to take a photo and I looked up and saw a black bird soaring in the thermals in front of the escarpment. No big deal. Then D __ said, "That thing's not in front of the cliff, he's way back behind the top!"

Sure enough, we both watched the bird closely and when he flew behind what seemed to be a pretty big tree at the top edge of the cliff, his wingspan was clearly wider than the dripline of the tree. Then the bird disappeared east beyond the escarpment. WTF? D__ and I are pretty careful observers; at the time, I was working as a civil engineering designer and D__ was a land surveyor. We compared our observations with each other and decided there was only one thing to do - climb up to that tree and measure it. We took careful note of our position for a back sight and based on the terrain above, we figured we'd find the tree without much trouble - from where we were, it looked like by far the biggest one on that cliff edge. We backtracked again to the canyon mouth, south this time, then walked up the escarpment edge until we easily found the correct tree (elevation 6550 ft). Sappo Canyon shown below, looking east. We measured the dripline - 20', possibly a little more. That made the bird's wingspan greater than 20'.

sappo.jpg

When we got back to town, we started talking with people about what we'd seen. One bird expert said it might have been a stray Condor or perhaps an Imperial Vulture, but we were wrong about its size because those birds' wingspans were 12-14' tops. We found pretty much the same info on the internet. Then D__ ran into D__ L___, our Search and Rescue colleague, who was a 70-ish, ramrod straight, no-nonsense guy whose family had ranched in southwest NM for generations. "Yeah, haven't heard of a sighting for years," said he. "My Grandpa saw the same thing when I was a kid. Not where you saw it, but in the same general area. Nobody ever figured out where it nested."

A couple years later, I saw a news story on an Albuquerque TV station (KRQE) wherein a witness - David Z____ - described sighting a similar gigantic bird in the hills north of Las Cruces NM, on the east side of the Rio Grande. Unfortunately, that clip is no longer available from KRQE.

Whatever the heck that bird is, D___ and I will swear to you that its wingspan is greater than 20'. That's all we can say for sure. There are many strange and wonderful things to be seen in the mysterious Cookes Range - old mines, bizarre petroglyphs, structure ruins, cavalry fort ruins, rock walls to nowhere, Indian ruins, ancient trails, Apache ambush sites, old townsites, many scattered graves, hidden caves, alleged Aztec sites, hidden Shangri La canyons, Spanish treasure signs, and more. Now we can add to that list Big Bird.

Cuco rock 4.JPG

Last edited:

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
"Big Bird" has nothing on the "Thunderbird"

Spring 2004. After finding many good things (rock corrals, building ruins, strange petroglyphs) in what some folks call Prospector's Canyon in New Mexico's Cookes Range, D__ P___ and I followed the wash northwest through a cut in a vertical escarpment known as The Centipede into a canyon known by some as Sappo Canyon (looks like a big frog from a distance). The Centipede walled in the canyon on the east and south sides. These three place names are not on any maps, but all are on the south flanks of Rattlesnake Ridge, which is on the maps. Here's an overview of the range, looking south to better define the topo.

View attachment 1315904

We came into Sappo Canyon and turned southwest, following the base of the escarpment, finding some very cool rock pointers and a few petroglyphs. Then we backtracked to the mouth of the canyon and headed north, following the main wash. We branched off in a side drainage and found a very interesting carved pointer on a prominent boulder after a bit (about 6200 ft elevation). We stopped there to take a photo and I looked up and saw a black bird soaring in the thermals in front of the escarpment. No big deal. Then D __ said, "That thing's not in front of the cliff, he's way back behind the top!"

Sure enough, we both watched the bird closely and when he flew behind what seemed to be a pretty big tree at the top edge of the cliff, his wingspan was clearly wider than the dripline of the tree. Then the bird disappeared east beyond the escarpment. WTF? D__ and I are pretty careful observers; at the time, I was working as a civil engineering designer and D__ was a land surveyor. We compared our observations with each other and decided there was only one thing to do - climb up to that tree and measure it. We took careful note of our position for a back sight and based on the terrain above, we figured we'd find the tree without much trouble - from where we were, it looked like by far the biggest one on that cliff edge. We backtracked again to the canyon mouth, south this time, then walked up the escarpment edge until we easily found the correct tree (elevation 6550 ft). Sappo Canyon shown below, looking east. We measured the dripline - 20', possibly a little more. That made the bird's wingspan greater than 20'.

View attachment 1315905

When we got back to town, we started talking with people about what we'd seen. One bird expert said it might have been a stray Condor or perhaps an Imperial Vulture, but we were wrong about its size because those birds' wingspans were 12-14' tops. We found pretty much the same info on the internet. Then D__ ran into D__ L___, our Search and Rescue colleague, who was a 70-ish, ramrod straight, no-nonsense guy whose family had ranched in southwest NM for generations. "Yeah, haven't heard of a sighting for years," said he. "My Grandpa saw the same thing when I was a kid. Not where you saw it, but in the same general area. Nobody ever figured out where it nested."

A couple years later, I saw a news story on an Albuquerque TV station (KRQE) wherein a witness - David Z____ - described sighting a similar gigantic bird in the hills north of Las Cruces NM, on the east side of the Rio Grande. Unfortunately, that clip is no longer available from KRQE.

Whatever the heck that bird is, D___ and I will swear to you that its wingspan is greater than 20'. That's all we can say for sure. There are many strange and wonderful things to be seen in the mysterious Cookes Range - old mines, bizarre petroglyphs, structure ruins, cavalry fort ruins, rock walls to nowhere, Indian ruins, ancient trails, Apache ambush sites, old townsites, many scattered graves, hidden caves, alleged Aztec sites, hidden Shangri La canyons, Spanish treasure signs, and more. Now we can add to that list Big Bird.

View attachment 1315906

Thunderbird.jpg

This "Bird" was claimed to have been shot down by some "Confederate Soldiers" in 1864!

sdcfia

Silver Member
Sep 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
View attachment 1316475

This "Bird" was claimed to have been shot down by some "Confederate Soldiers" in 1864!

Unfortunately, that photo was faked for use in some sort of TV show back in the '90s I believe. Even though I had a camera on my belt during the sighting described in Post #14, the event happened quickly and was over before I even thought of taking a picture. I think this is why most cryptozoological sightings are word-of-mouth - you get mesmerized with what you're seeing and don't think about anything else. Now, regarding "the snake" in Post #7, I had a camera with me that day too, but there was no friggin' way I was going to try to get its picture. All I wanted was to be gone from there!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread