Dang gum it now ya went and made me hungrey for jerky

Yeap, looks like I'll be making a batch. :wink:

Looks great sasnz. :thumbsup:

civil war hunter

Feb 10, 2009
west virginia
Detector(s) used
whites classic 5 id, and bounty hunter.
Don't ya think you need a new grill? I ain't talk'in about your mouth. ;D Be carefull with em barbecue spears,hate to find that metal detecting..

E59

Feb 28, 2005
On the river bank
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I make deer jerky a couple times a month so I have little practice. :wink: I use ground deer and a Lem Jerky press.

2 or 3 pounds of ground meat
1 cup loose brown sugar, not packed
2 tbsp cayenne powder
1 tbsp mustard powder
1/2 tbsp onion powder, not onion salt
1/2 tbsp garlic powder, not garlic salt
1 tsp meat cure
1 tbsp soy or worcestershire sauce

I mix thoroughly and dehydrate in a snackmaster for 6 hours. If you spray your trays with cooking spray you will have a much easier time with removal and cleanup.

feather

Jul 29, 2009
Quick and easy dehydrator made one myself and it works like a charm. Small amounts only. Suits me fine.

Take average size cardboard box and line it inside with tin foil/aluminum foil. Dull side facing you.
Length of cable with attached bulb holder, 250w light bulb. (Not new type as they don't emit heat and that's what you need). I used an old lamp.
Make hole near the bottom of box. Only large enough to pass cable through-connect bulb
My drying rack consists of old dish drying rack, bag of paper clips and you're all set.

My recipe: Use plastic containers only, why no metal?..... haven't figured that one out yet.
Slice meat into narrow strips, not too skinny as they shrink to nothing.
Layer into plastic container using a good sprinkling of coarse salt between each layer. Leave overnight.
Drain off liquid and then wash down meat with warm vinegar. Yip, warm vinegar.
Drip dry a little then sprinkle with ground pepper and ground or crushed coriander,
Hook paper clip through meat and attach to drying rack.
Place drying rack into cardboard box, close box but do not seal as air needs to escape.
Switch bulb on and.....wait
I say it needs a good day to dry, that's up to you of course.
Meat won't go off as its been preserved in salt and vinegar. Flies will also stay away due to pepper.

Enjoy
regards feather

Frank1960

Nov 13, 2009
Evans Colorado
Detector(s) used
AT Max
Where did everyone go? Just got a care package of jerky from Ben but dang if I can remember his nickname on here I think I figured it out but not for sure. Anywho he sent me some and told me to post on what I thought if it so here goes.

Looked and teasted a lot like store bought. Had same type of texture. Wasn't dried out as I said a lot like store bought. Nice flavor but could use a little more bite to it. Had a slightly salty taste but I like that. Was fairly easy to chew and made my mouth water the first bite so I knew right then I would like it well I didn't actually like it I LOVED it could eat a lot of this jerky. Now send me the recipe and the type of meat and dehydrator you use so I can try to make some myself lol If I found this in the store and knew who's it was I would buy it. :icon_thumleft:

Willing to put my stomach in harms way to test anyone else's jerky lol

poorhunter78

Bronze Member
Jul 13, 2008
WV
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Frank, Its poorhunter. You cant buy that jerky in the store, Its my own personel recipe. Here is a pic to get the ol mouth watering. Ben

Attachments

• HPIM1385.JPG
    HPIM1385.JPG
    312.1 KB · Views: 359

Frank1960

Nov 13, 2009
Evans Colorado
Detector(s) used
AT Max
That's not nice teasing me like that LOL And I said "IF" they were in the store I would buy them. Now send me the recipe lol At least the kind of meat you use. And thanks again for the sample

poorhunter78

Bronze Member
Jul 13, 2008
WV
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is for 4-6 lbs of meat..
1 cup soy sauce.
4-5 Tablespoon liquid smoke
1-2 Tablespoon A1 steak sauce
1-2 Tablespoon Worchestershire sauce
3-4 Tablespoon oil
1/2 teaspoon white pepper
1/2-1 cup of water
mix well then add meat
marinate for 2-3 days
I use deer meat only but any meat should be fine... Enjoy.... Ben or "poorhunter78"

Attachments

• HPIM1434.JPG
    HPIM1434.JPG
    32 KB · Views: 345

Frank1960

Nov 13, 2009
Evans Colorado
Detector(s) used
AT Max
Yippee now where does Bambi live again? LOL Thanks will keep this and then find some kind of good meat to use. When I get some done I will send ya some to taste but don't hold your breath need to get some money first but I got your addy so will let ya know when I get some done.

poorhunter78

Bronze Member
Jul 13, 2008
WV
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
10/4 The only thing that it takes the most of to make jerky is the soy sauce... Here in WV it is 2.29-2.99 for a 16oz bottle of the "LA CHOY" soy sauce. Dont know if you have access to it there. I used to pick up the reduced steaks or roast at the supermarket to use but whatever your means should be good jerky. I cut into 3/16 to 1/4 inch strips. the oil prevents it from getting like shoeleather. If you need any more info just let me know..... Ben

Frank1960

Nov 13, 2009
Evans Colorado
Detector(s) used
AT Max
Yeah we got soy sauce here so thats not a problem. Was at SAMS and forgot to check the meat today dang it. Wonder if I can con them into cutting whatever into stips for me at the store? Lazy huh lol

poorhunter78

Bronze Member
Jul 13, 2008
WV
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If they slice lunchmeat there I dont see why they would say no. Its worth a shot. Personally I just whip out my filet knife. Ben

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
SAM'S will cut to order on a bulk chunk . Also , you can get industrial sized seasonings at a much lower price than grocery retailers .
Sorry , Ben , I didn't mention to you that we have a Sam's card . We'll have to go shopping together as well as fishing and THing .
Butch

Frank1960

Nov 13, 2009
Evans Colorado
Detector(s) used
AT Max
yep got to love SAMS. A fisherman also huh? Cool I just took up fly fishing last year and love it sure hope to get up to the mountain stream more this year than I did last year.

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
Frank1960 said:
yep got to love SAMS. A fisherman also huh? Cool I just took up fly fishing last year and love it sure hope to get up to the mountain stream more this year than I did last year.
Go over to Today's Finds and scroll back to my post on PH,Topcop ,and I getting skunked on
a hunt to see what that 'kid' does when you leave him unattended around a hole of water .
I just checked local SAM'S . I can buy 64oz Kikkoman soy sauce for $4.76 .

poorhunter78

Bronze Member
Jul 13, 2008
WV
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
But the Question is? " Will they allow the 2 of us in same store at one time? "

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread