Jeep

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2008
32°46′58″N 96°48′14″W
Detector(s) used
My other detector is a helicopter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Growing up in the East we ate the same thing but a little different, it was called Scrapple.

When times was lean it was as you described, Just cornmeal.

Sure do miss it, I heard tell there is a version they sell in the store now. Just can't imagine it would be as good as homemade.

OP
OP
mamabear

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
It's easy to make. I don't use measurements, so I will have to make some & get the recipe down for you. I have heard of scrapple, but thought there was meat in it?

Unicorn

Nov 18, 2007
Birmingham
Primary Interest:
Other
Here in the UK we have something called "bubble and squeak", I don't know why it's called that tho.......Mash all cooked leftover potatoes, and veggies together, and fry. It's great, and filling too.

C

Cappy Z.

Bob Evans restaurants have the best fried mush..I pour syrup over mine and add the sausage patties on top. Yummy!!

warsawdaddy

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2004
Edwards,Missouri
Detector(s) used
MXT - DeLeon - Gamma 6000
Gunsmoke(Lance),my son,still makes mush.We like it.I've eaten it since childhood.

Update!!!
After I posted this I went in the kitchen to tell Lance and he was making a batch of mush!He said he thought we would have some for breakfast.He must have gotten some vibes somewhere.

gunsmoke

Oct 15, 2006
The Ozarks
Detector(s) used
Any Available
Hi Everyone, This is the 'down and dirty' mush dish ...

Boil 3 cups water, while that is working ... combine 1 cup cold water and 1 cup corn meal ( I use yellow ) in a bowl
When the water boils, stir in the cold mix, stir constantly till it thickens good, turn fire to low and cover. Continue to cook 5 minutes. Pour into dish, or bread pan, or whatever you want. I use a 9x9 dish. Let it cool, then place in the fridge overnight. Mine slices up like thick bacon strips. Fry it in a pan and enjoy. Warsawdaddy uses syrup, I just lightly salt it. Mm Mm Good!

Just made up a batch. Here's the pics ... Enjoy!

Attachments

• Mush1.jpg
    Mush1.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 949
  • Mush2.jpg
    Mush2.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 983
  • Mush3.jpg
    Mush3.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 1,017

warsawdaddy

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2004
Edwards,Missouri
Detector(s) used
Spooky said:
I imagine, gunsmoke.. this would taste like cornbread?
:dontknow:

And what do you think frying it in bacon grease would do?
No way is it like cornbread.Different texture,different taeste.Does need to be sliced and fried.

gunsmoke

Oct 15, 2006
The Ozarks
Detector(s) used
Any Available
Yup, nothing like cornbread. This has a rubbery feel to it. Frys up good. Your idea should give it a good flavor. Good luck with it.

S

stefen

Basically its hot cereal thats cooled and then fried...

This is probably the best kitchen aroma there is when frying corn mush...

We flour each piece before frying which leaves a light crust...

Grew up using honey or Karo syrup with butter...jam or jellies also taste good on it...

You can bet that most of the fried mush was fried in bacon grease...

Tubecity

Bronze Member
Mar 11, 2007
sw Pa.
Mush is just another corn dish going back to the days when no food was wasted, like grits, hominy or
corn meal. Like scrapple it more than likely comes from the Pennsylvania Dutch (Germans). I like to dip
the mush in a little flour & fry it in butter till slightly brown & crispy. And nothing is better on it than some
real maple syrup from Myersdale in Somerset County. Like they say, 'don't get any of it on your forehead
'cause your tongue will slap your brains out tryin to get to it'. Same goes with a stack of 'buckwheat
pancakes' & some sweet sausage or slice of ham on the side. Now that's good chewin'.

OP
OP
mamabear

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
I agree with ya. nothin better. dang I just had oatmeal! will have to cook up some mush & let it set so I can fry it up in the morn. I just got some fresh maple syrup my friends made. yum!!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Spooky said:

Just as the others say, nothing like corn bread when fried.......

You can also do something like it with mash potatoes.....Little egg, flour, left over mash potatoes and then fry it.......Good....

warsawdaddy

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2004
Edwards,Missouri
Detector(s) used
Treasure_Hunter said:
Spooky said:

Just as the others say, nothing like corn bread when fried.......

You can also do something like it with mash potatoes.....Little egg, flour, left over mash potatoes and then fry it.......Good....
My grandmother use to fry the left over mashed potatos and they they were good!

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
Fried mush and tater cakes are still standard fare here as well as floured and fried canned green tomatoes . A pork chop or slice of country ham fried and served with it and you got a meal that'd make ya stand flatfooted an slap yur Grammaw .
Good , flavorful bacon grease is a must and hold the syrup for me . Salt and pepper will do nicely ;D
Jim

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim
The Italians call mush "polenta" and you can eat it like a soft mush or you can fry it too. You find this served in many fine restaurants!!! Rachel Ray cooks polenta all the time. It is excellent!!! Try her chicken and polenta dish. Excellent!

OP
OP
mamabear

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
fried green 'maters, um um ummmm! how bout green 'maters in scrambled eggs. or better yet, scrambled eggs & poke! it's almost that time of year!
never knew mush was so popular!

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
mamabear said:
fried green 'maters, um um ummmm! how bout green 'maters in scrambled eggs. or better yet, scrambled eggs & poke! it's almost that time of year!
never knew mush was so popular!
Maters got to be sliced and canned first to bring out the best in them . Drain , flour , fry
in bacon grease .
Fresh fried maters just aren't the same ;D
Poke greens are good and optional .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions