Lost my recipe for sweet potatoe pie. Anyone have a pet one handy?

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wanted to make some sweet potatoe pies for Thanksgiving but couldn't find my recipe. I had an old fashioned recipe that an elderly black lady gave me. She made the pies and sold them from a small ethnic cafe where she cooked. It was easy and delicious. All the others I have tried tasted too much like pumpkin pie and I am not a pumpkin pie lover. Any help appreciated. Thanks in advance. Monty

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Monty, I don't make sweet potato pie, cause there are so many dishes to be made with sweet potatoes instead of pie.

Here's a website to make anything with sweet potatoes (southern style) http://www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/cat/199/ :icon_thumleft:

:wink: RR

OP
OP
Monty

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Ms Riverrat. I don't like pumpkin pie and I am trying to convince my family that sweet potatoe pie is so much better so I won't have to tolerate the pumpkin every holiday! My wife makes candied yams and marshmallows but it ain't pie. I'll check out that link. Monty

rockhound

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2005
Here you go Monte! Hope you enjoy! Sweet potato Pie
1 (9'')unbaked pie crust 2 cups cooked and mashed sweet potatoes 1/2 cup sugar 1/2 tsp salt 1 tsp cinnamon 1/2 tsp ginger 1/4 tsp ground cloves
1- 2/3 cups light cream 3 tbsp butter,softened 2/3 cups brown sugar 2/3 cups chopped pecans
Bake sweet potatoes until tender,peel, mash,lightly blend eggs with sweet potatoes.Stir in sugar, salt,cinnamon,ginger,cloves.Blend in cream and fill pie shell
Bake at 400 for 45-55 minutes.
To make carmelized topping: Combine butter,brown sugar,and pecans.Drop spoonfuls of over cooled pie to cover top. Broil until mixture brgins to bubble.
About 3 minutes.Cool on rack. rockhound

OP
OP
Monty

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks rockhound. Now I have several and just need to decide which one or ones I need to try. I may make 3 or 4 just to see which one I like best.

Don't need anymore, can't make up my mind as it is! Monty

OP
OP
Monty

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I built one but it wasn't too popular and I ate most of it. They are all weaned on Pumpkin pies and won't try anything different. I finally tossed the last small sliver as it was turning green and fuzzy, but I enjoyed it. Thanks a lot for the recipes. Monty

S

stefen

Gotta tell ya, on New Years day, some friends brought over a sweet potato pie that they made...add some heavy whipping cream topping, and you'd think you'd died and gone to Heaven...

Only time of the year that we get an opportunity to experience this type of dessert...

It was preceded with a medium rare Standing (bone-in) Prime Rib Roast, Scalloped Potatoes, String Beans and biscuits...

OP
OP
Monty

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Prime Rib is my favorite cut of beef. But I can't find a decent one around here anywhere. Every time I order one from a menu, they are out or it's too well done like a hockey puck or it bleeds out on my plate like a major severed artery. I like them medium rare, pink and hot but not in need of first aid! I envy you. For my Sweet potato pie I made a bourbon sauce from heavy cream and a jigger of brandy mixed in with vanilla pudding. It turned out really rich with a very mild hint of Jack Daniels. I also had cool whip, but the bourbon saukce was much better. Monty

S

stefen

Whenever you get an opportunity, pick up a well-marbled ribeye steak...maybe 1 inch thick and cook that puppy on the barbee for about 5 or 6 minutes a side...let it stand for 5 minutes until the juices have been re-absorbed...

While that's cooking, slice some baby portabella or white mushrooms and cook in a skillet with a pat of butter...(or extra virgin olive oil)

About a 3/4 hour before cooking the meat, bake up a box of scalloped potatoes (box time is not adequate)...

All that's missing is a few slices of garlic bread...

In my opinion, a ribeye steak is far superior to any other cut and has a flavor...well, you know...has your taste buds begging...

mikeofaustin

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
dfx
I would just like to vsay that l believe losing a recipe for sweet potato pie is a very good thing. Just like zucchini or squash recipes. Just typing those three words made me shudder.

OP
OP
Monty

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mikeo, I cannot imagine anyone who doesn't like zuchinni, squash or sweet potatoe pie. I grew up eating all of them right out of the garden. And I forgot to mention Okra. Heck I would eat okra raw. You must not have ever been below the Mason/Dixon line or outside the city limits. Those things are southern cooking at it's best. I suppose you wouldn't like 'possum butt pie either? You get several 'possums, fresh roadkill is ok, and remove the spincter rings and..........oh never mind, I know you wouldn't like it. Come on down to supper and I'll treat you to some really fine homegrown cuisine. M :laughing7: nty

Bubba707

Dec 28, 2010
N E Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
DFX, AT Pro, Vaquero, Cortes
This is my favorite recipe for sweet potato pie. It comes from Omar the Pieman of New Orleans.

3 c Cooked, peeled and
Mashed sweet potatoes
1 Egg
2 tb Melted butter
1/8 ts Cinnamon
1/8 ts Nutmeg
1/2 c Cream
TO
3/4 c Cream
1/2 ts Lemon juice
2 ts Vanilla
Dash salt
1/2 c Sugar
TO
3/4 c Sugar

Mix the potatoes with rotary beater until
they are smooth. Then add the other ingredients to the potatoes and
beat for 5 minutes. Pour filling into unbaked 9″ pie shell, bake for
40-45 minutes at 350-325. Can also be served with a favorite topping:
hot rum sauce, ice cream or whipped cream.

mikeofaustin

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
dfx
Monty said:
Mikeo, I cannot imagine anyone who doesn't like zuchinni, squash or sweet potatoe pie. I grew up eating all of them right out of the garden. And I forgot to mention Okra. Heck I would eat okra raw. You must not have ever been below the Mason/Dixon line or outside the city limits. Those things are southern cooking at it's best. I suppose you wouldn't like 'possum butt pie either? You get several 'possums, fresh roadkill is ok, and remove the spincter rings and..........oh never mind, I know you wouldn't like it. Come on down to supper and I'll treat you to some really fine homegrown cuisine. M :laughing7: nty

LOVE okra. Love collards, brussel sprouts, lima beans, etc. But, it just seems those other foods are three things on earth that I can't stomach. I'll even eat liver if you mix it in just right... I've also tried menudo and tripas. Don't care for those either, but I hear menudo is great for a hang-over.

I can remember when I was about 8 years old in elementary school. The teacher wouldn't let us leave the lunch room (to play outside) until we finished our sweet potatoes. So, we all learned to mash them up so well, and spread them all around the tray that it seems like we did in fact, eat them. Also filling up the empty milk cartoon with them too (before she caught onto that little scam. Perhaps, being a little smarter now than I was then, I should have dumped them on the floor, and got everyone to do it too. That way, the principle would know that the general majority consensus was, that kids don't like sweet potato's. No-body ate them.

So, you see? I had a very traumatic childhood. I wonder if I could still sue. "Anti sweet potato 'John Doe'" VS. "The state of Florida".

OP
OP
Monty

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not to worry. I hated school cafeteria food also, just about any school cafeteria vegetable. They were all cooked for a gang of a couple hundred or more students and used absolutely no seasoning and it all tasted like cardboard. But when I was in highschool my folks worked late and I learned to cook my own supper and have continued doing much of the home cooking as an adult. I can remember when not very many men could cook at all, but I was one of the ones who turned out to be a decent cook. I can cook just about any thing that is fried, broiled or boiled, animal, mineral or vegetable. And most of the time dishes I fix I find that those who always hated a certain food, would actually like it the way I prepare it. I like to go easy on the salt, but embellish my cooking with herbs and spices that blend well together. I got my recipe for "potato pie" from a black lady who ran a restaurant in the middle of the predominately black part of town. I misplaced it somewhere and haven't been able to make a decent sweet potato pie since. I guess you could call that ethnic cooking? But no matter the origin, it was very tasty and put pumpkin pie to shame. Monty

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread