vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector_vpnavy.gif
Put aside some time each day and browse Sub-Forums: New Jersey toe2short. As a matter of fact, see if their are any clubs close by - you should have no problem hooking up with a local MD'r and maybe tagging along on one of their hunts.

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
toe2short:

It's a toss-up between Sudden Wealth by "Deek Gladson" (Charles Dean & Gladys Miller) and Treasure Hunter's Manual #6 by "Karl von Mueller" (Charles Dean Miller). Next in line would be Treasure Hunter's Manual #7 also by "KvonM."

After that it depends on what you are interested in. The instruction manual for your detector (if you use one) is very important, of course. If you are interested in sunken treasure, then a book such as "The Homewrecker" - John S. Potter, Jr.'s Treasure Diver's Guide would make a great deal of sense.

But if you are looking in the American West, that volume wouldn't help much. The Golden Crescent; The Southwest Treasure Belt by "Jesse Rascoe" (Ed Bartholomew) could be very helpful.

I'm also partial to Karl's Encyclopedia of Buried Treasure Hunting - some may say I'm not being objective about that, since I reprinted it.

During the Great Depression the US Government's Works Progress Administration hired writers and researchers to produce Guides to every state, some cities and regions, as well. Many of these have been reprinted in paperback editions. Get the one for your state and area, if available!

Then become a student of history. Read the first-hand accounts of people who lived in your areas of interest. The best leads are the ones you develop yourself!

Good luck to all,

~The Old Bookaroo

Springfield

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2003
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
BS
I would look at Treasure of the Valley of Secrets​, by Deek Gladson. This is a superb example of coded information being passed along within a rather bizarre treasure tale - the technique being a template for many other treasure tales in the public domain. Even the odd typo strikemarks in the text allegedly have a purpose.

Take a look at American Life Histories Manuscripts from the Federal Writers Project, 1936-1940, for little-known stories originating from your local area, available at the Library of Congress website.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
in my opinion forget "how to" books,
as Gold Maven says, Use this site.

And if you can, Find others in your area

I see you are in N.J.

if you want books look for Volume 6

Untitled.jpg

This will give you a General Idea of what could be out there.

Next look for local Town & township histories.
They will supply you with many leads.
and interesting reading.

if N.J. is anything like PA there should be loads of Local histories
like this in your area, that will list the early picnic spots, Swimming holes, & events.

DSCF0016.JPG

Last edited:

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
Springfield: What does a copy of ToVoS go for these days? There was one offered on eBay (I think the cover color was off - but that could well be the photo and not the book itself) for $200. I don't believe it sold.

It's been pointed out here before, but there is an interesting similarity between one of the signs shown in that book and the LUE treasure map.

Additionally, I think Karl's Waybills to El Dorado is very useful. Most of the specific treasures have finally been lifted by now (along with the 25 listed in THM #6, of course) but again - read between the lines...

Good luck to all,

~The Old Bookaroo

Springfield

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2003
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
BS
Springfield: What does a copy of ToVoS go for these days? There was one offered on eBay (I think the cover color was off - but that could well be the photo and not the book itself) for $200. I don't believe it sold.

It's been pointed out here before, but there is an interesting similarity between one of the signs shown in that book and the LUE treasure map.

Additionally, I think Karl's Waybills to El Dorado is very useful. Most of the specific treasures have finally been lifted by now (along with the 25 listed in THM #6, of course) but again - read between the lines...

Good luck to all,

~The Old Bookaroo

Bookaroo,
Looks like about $250 today:

Amazon.com: Buying Choices: Treasure of the Valley of Secrets

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
Springfield:

Thank you!

Books of Adventure is me.

The other book seller keeps trying to tuck himself just under my price - so I let him be the cheapest.

I've seen bootleg editions of several of Karl's books (just noticed one on eBay - THM #7) but, happily, not of this title.

Good luck to all,

~The Old Bookaroo

Springfield

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2003
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
BS
Springfield:

Thank you!

Books of Adventure is me....

~The Old Bookaroo

I looked at your storefront and saw some tempting offers. Unfortunately, I'm at a point where I'm not much into collecting anymore. I've liquidated a few of mine recently and I was pleased to discover that I didn't miss them when they were gone.

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
springfield:

The only book purchases I've ever regretted are the ones I didn't make.

Good luck to all,

~The Old Bookaroo

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread