Mounds
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mounds

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    Jed

Mounds

someone I know has told me he has found two mounds on his propriety on a all hill. He asked me if it was ok to disturb them if it's on privite propriety ? I told him I wouldn't disturb them no matter who's propriety it was on, and I also think it's illegal to disturb them on Private propriety. He lives in Ky and I'm not sure of the laws there. Any help would be great.

Jedro

Mar 2004
    2 times

Re: Mounds

I would think contacting the state historical dept. would be the first step. He might have something really important there! He also might have a 1950 Desoto! Cladius.

us
    Jul 2003
    kentucky
    army all terrain
    478 times

The Law and American Indian burialprotections--kentucky laws
    Indian Burial and Sacred Grounds Watch page on Kentucky state law and American Indian burial protections. ... Federal laws. State laws. Some preserved sites ... Controversies Concerning Archaeology. American Indian Voices. News Archive Index ...
    http://www.ibsgwatch.imagedjinn.com/...entuckylaw.htm

Jed

Prohibits a person from willfully injuring, destroying or defacing an archaeological site or object of antiquity situated on lands owned or leased by the commonwealth or a state agency or a political subdivision of the commonwealth.

Wow. It doesn't say anything about private propriety.......

RRey199

I don't get it. You said it was on his property right? Why would he be concerned if it was his own property? Maybe I misunderstood. If it's on someone else's property, I would contact the owner for permission of course. If those mounds were on my property they'd be dug already. I would have brought a shovel to the closing.

Leave no stone unturned, no dump undug.

I just found the spellcheck!! Nice touch Marc!

Jed

I guess it's just me, I always thought it was against the law to dig up graves no matter what land it's on.

I can see now I was wrong.

Thanks

dneyedli@res1.mts.net

Well, maybe we can turn the table here, since I'm part Indian, I'll start looking for some Catholic or Protestant graves and start digging them up. I might find a gold ring on someone's finger or something else interesting. Sound crazy?
    Legal or not, you are comiitting a crime towards humanity if you dig those burial mounds up. Those Aborigional dead should be given the same respect as your grandmother that is buried at the cemetary. Don't be surprised if a large group of Native Americans come pounding at your door, demanding justice. The ignorance here is downright disgusting.
    I better stop now, before I get more angry. Think about my point, will ya?
    Dave.

Jed

See... that's why I don't dig up graves!

RRey199

I'm somewhat confused. Did we know going into the discussion that there was a possibility that they were graves? Maybe I assumed too much, but I thought the idea was that there was a question of buried items. Re: bottle dump or past privy. I never considered they may be burial plots. Yeesh

The thought of digging up someone's great-great grandpa is less than appealing to me.

We uncovered a small graveyard up the street from me while clearing brush some years ago. We fenced it in, cleaned it up, straightened the stones and called the historic society.

Dec 2003
    Western Schuylkill County
    MINELAB EXPLORER SE PRO ....... Garrett Pro Pointer…… Sovereign XS-2 Pro
    33983 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Altho' I personally have no intrest in digging 6 feet into the ground to look at a few bones. MY PERSONAL OPINION IS. when I'm dead, I'm not gonna know anything about my bones or past possessions, and if someone wants to dig me up. a hundred or so years from now after everyone who had known me personally is also gone,,"MORE POWER TO YA' ". I'm shure I'm gonna get alot of flack for this, BUT, if the ARCHIES, Construction Companies & Mineing intrests, can do it. and if it's not a loved one, I'v known personally, I'M not gonna lose any sleep over it. & don't say it isn't done. one of the first things told to a miner when they get hired to go into the mine is, "IF YOU FIND SOMETHING INTRESTING, KEEP IT QUIET, the last thing we want is some archie commin' in here and shutting us down" and I'm shure the construction companies, do it also. but let it be some small time detectorist or gardener, doing it for other reasons then making a fortune, in your buisness, and you'r the lowest form of life !!!! just my opinion.

Charter Member

Mar 2003
    So. Cal.
    280 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

SOunds like a good use for GPR (ground penetrating radar). 8)

Tony Montana

Jun 2004
    1 times

The aboriginal peoples are not native to America, it has been proved via Kennewick man that the first americans were Caucasian. Yet the US Government has covered it up & refuses to allow tests be done on Kennewick man.
    "Whats coming to me?.... The world & everything in it Chico" - Tony Montana

us
    Sarcastic Smartass

May 2003
    Spokane, Washington
    White's XLT
    6 times

Actually that's not true.

Kennewick man is now open for study.

Five tribes and the Feds have declined to appeal a court decision against them to the supreme court.

You can read the story here: http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...bonesed22.html

It happened very recently, so i'm not surprised you didn't know.
    Pics hosted with Dreamhost - http://www.dreamhost.com/r.cgi?293800

Tony Montana

Jun 2004
    1 times

Quote Originally Posted by Lasivian
    Actually that's not true.

Kennewick man is now open for study.

Five tribes and the Feds have declined to appeal a court decision against them to the supreme court.

You can read the story here: http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...bonesed22.html

It happened very recently, so i'm not surprised you didn't know.
    Thanks for the information
    "Whats coming to me?.... The world & everything in it Chico" - Tony Montana

us
    My goal for 2012 is a dozen Walking Liberty Halves

Sep 2004
    Pittsburgh, Pa
    Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
    57 times

Hi all,

? ? ? It could be something as trivial as a huge mound of topsoil, but not likely. Based on the fact that they are in Kentucky, they are probably Adena and/or Hopewell mounds (http://www.avoca.k12.il.us/os/mariem...dbuilders.html). From what I remember from school, these mounds are used for worship and burial. Having a metal detector around a cemetary (in this case a mound) is bad. It gives the image that all metal detectorists are grave robbers and once that label is applied nobody will give permission for you to hunt.

? ? ? I'm not sure who recommend it, but I would definitly report it to the state/local historical and/or archeaological office. The archies will probably want to excavate it for the same reason: burial offerings. The anthropologists/archeaololgists will be excavate it slowly and methodically as opposed to most people hacking away the mound with shovels. After years of study, the archies will reinter the remains or display the finds in a museum in climate controlled conditions. I think this is better than having ancestoral remains sitting in a garage or attic or worse end up for sale on Ebay.

? ? ?In essence, I would find out exactly, with the help of professionals whether the mound is Adena or Hopewell, once it has been identified as belonging to a specific culture, I would read as much as I could about it. That way, we can learn and they can rest in peace. Another good mound site to visit is Cahokia Mounds (www.cahokiamounds.com).? Hope it helps.

Ron (PA)
    I Dig Everything...Even Pull Tabs.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links