Awesome Find: Old Bailey Online

TQA Girl

Tenderfoot
Mar 16, 2009
Prescott Valley
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer EX
I honestly have no clue where the best place to share this would be, it could fit several places or none at all...

A brief aside on how I stumbled over it - watching the Jack the Ripper in America program that sparked my curiosity about the suspect James Kelly, and went browsing around casebook.org's forum and someone posted a link to the court proceedings from Kelly's murder trial...and after reading, I clicked to the 'home' page and discover this is an archive of all sorts of trial proceedings dating back to the 1600s. Now surely as a research tool it could potentially be helpful on some level in researching robberies and such from back in the day. Granted, the site says it's from "non-elite" people - or in their words:

The Proceedings of the Old Bailey, 1674-1913

A fully searchable edition of the largest body of texts detailing the lives of non-elite people ever published, containing 197,745 criminal trials held at London's central criminal court.

http://www.oldbaileyonline.org/index.jsp

It's such a cool site with these documents, I had to share it here...might seem obscure but then again, maybe there's something to be discovered. Definitely browse some of the cases..if nothing else, great reading and at least the Kelly case helped reveal the way of the Victorian dialect much better. Ever so proper! Hah!

I chose this forum mostly from the description - ghost towns and historic sites, etc. I figure this qualifies, even if digital! If it should be in another spot, feel free to relocate!

PS and on an unrelated to TH note, if you also have an interest in the Jack the Ripper tale and saw the doc - this is the link to the Kelly case - one of the suspects who'd previously killed his wife, etc.

http://www.oldbaileyonline.org/browse.jsp?id=def1-724-18830730&div=t18830730-724#highlight

OP
OP
TQA Girl

TQA Girl

Tenderfoot
Mar 16, 2009
Prescott Valley
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer EX

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread