caring for old iron, they are drying out and fragmenting

A

abrakdabra

? ?Hi fellow md'ers. Any advice on this topic would be appreciated. I thought I had a method for caring for uncovered old relics but my method isn't successful.
? ?I use a brass brush to get the dirt off which often reveals a form very different once the soil is removed. Gently. Then I simply spray them with WD-40. The problem, I think, may be that these relics are very, very old. In some cases 1,500 years old. I'm in Korea and there's a lot of iron from that time, the use of iron was very common. So what I find is iron arrowheads, bits of fasteners from horse-riding, and so on. I read on the can that WD-40 'draws out moisture' while at the same time preserving and protecting. That may be fine for modern metal, but not these items. I have no idea. All I can do is guess. But I think drawing out the moisture is causing the fragmenting and flaking. The items held together in the wettish soil all those years, but exposed to dry conditions of a storage box after having the moisture drawn out by WD-40 disappointingly causes them to fall apart to a degree and I wish I could avoid this. By using some other method.
? ?I don't know what museums do, but in museum displays showing items of this age I see that some coating has been applied that seems to hold them together and seal them up. They shine to a degree, like it's a plastic or I don't know what.
? ?Thanks for any suggestions, I reallly appreciate it.

Rich in Texas

Jun 23, 2003
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, MXT X2, Exploder, and Classic III
I hope Marc does not mind me putting a link to another site here. I don't remember what the guys do that I have read on this other site. But they soak the iron in several different things then seal it. Ask this question at thetreasuredepot.com in the relic forum, I am sure someone can answer there.

Rich

C

Charles,Oak Island

After cleaning I have used polyurethane spay to seal iron items recovered from land or fresh water. seems to hold up good. Good sealant and clear.

OP
OP
A

abrakdabra

Everyone, thanks. I just happened to have bought spray cans of polyurethane today for my other hobby, boomerang making. Since it is a plastic coating it just might act as a support, coating and holding them together. I don't know if it would stick well to the greasy feel of WD-40 coated things, but that greasiness lets up after awhile. Or I have another, dry metal protectant spray. Polyurethane is difficult to find and I'm glad I found it today for relics and b coating. It's three times more durable a finish than the usual varnishes and lacquers, which ought to be good to hold together relics. As long as it works. Shame to see things fall to pieces. Thanks again, md'ers.

C

Charles,Oak Island

if you have a heavy oil coat it may not stick. You can use carb cleaner at $1.00 a can at wal mart to clean off the WD40. I also get my spray poly at wal mart and lowes. Carb cleaner dries fast.

Gribnitz

Aug 1, 2004
I had read some people use a 50/50 mixture of white glue (ala Elmer's glue) to water. Put on several coats. It keeps the air from getting to the iron and drying it out. I am told that the benefit to doing it this way is that the relic can be brought back to it's original condition simply by soaking it in water to remove the coating.

marvinbean

Jun 11, 2004
Newark,Delaware
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
A few of the guys in my club? use beeswax? ?you melt the wax? ? dip the item? let dry? dip again.
They say that the wax keeps air from getting to the metal and helps preserve the relic.
I haven't tried it yet? I have to find a cheap source of beeswax? to try it out. :-*

lab rat

May 21, 2003
Sunny Southern CA Coast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I think the generally accepted museum method is to soak the item in rubbing alcohol for a few days to clean it and replace the moisture with alcohol. Then soak it in glycerin or polyglycol (antifreeze) for a few weeks. This replaces the missing moisture and won't ever evaporate out. After that soak it in acetone into which paraffin wax is dissolved to seal it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread