4 lb. cannonballs

M

MH in Alabama

Hi, I'm really new to this sort of thing but last year I found three cannonballs around my farm and I still can't figure out anything about them. I found one buried in the back of a horse stall. The dirt in a horse stall has a way of getting dug out during cleaning and gets replaced periodically. Well, we bought this farm, moved in and started using the stall. After a few months I noticed a hard something in the back of the stall. I just thought it was a rock and when kicking didn't dislodge it I left it alone. A few weeks late it was further ouit and starting to look rather rounded for a rock. Out came the shovel and I had a very heavy iron ball.
After a little while we dicided that it must be a cannonball, that's when two more turned up unburied in a non-operational comercial sized chicken house (400' long). Here they are:
78516eb8.jpg

They are 4 pounds and 3 inches in diameter. For all I can tell I think they must be solid shot.
This one has a large ding in it:
cannonballs2.jpg

They are rusty and don't apear to be very well made. A seam line is visible and one of them is definitly lopsided.
I found these in Addison in Winston Co. Alabama and this is where I hit a dead end. This county was odd in that it was mostly full of Union supporters, this sentiment flowed into other north alabama countys but Winston was the center. In fact a rather interesting part of the history here is when winston Co. decided to seceed from Alabama! The "mountain people" as they were called wanted to avoid war. I have found no records of any miliary or militia activity here. Could these be practice shots from some old cannon they may have had? This farm is located on the same old road as Looney's Tavern where they had the meeting at which they decided to suceed. It is a bottom land area backed up to a long ridge that marks the border of the hilly area (now the Bank head National forest). There is a great view of the whole area from the top of the ridge.
I just got a metal detector and am going to try and find anythign outside of the buildings. So far it apears that this will ba a daunting task due to all the years of trash dumping.? ::) I did get 21 cents and an army eagle crest button today though! ;D

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Excalibur II, V3i, TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi MH, and welcome to the forum!

Maybe a previous owner of the farm found them...but if you found a button in the ground, then maybe not. They are cool finds, regardless. Welcome to the hobby and good luck!

HH!
TBGO

DigEmAll

Aug 29, 2005
Eastern UP, Michigan
They could be tumbler shot. When firing lime to make cement they run the fired lime through a large tumbler that pulverizes it into powder. Those are about the correct size for that.

Anything less than near perfectly round would destory a cannon. Also, most cannon balls have the casting seams smoothed off.

They also use tumbler shot to pulverize metal bearing ores for the smelting process. If there are any copper, gold, silver, or other types of mines or smelters around that might be it.

Keep hunting! Be sure to keep us posted on your other finds!

OP
OP
M

MH in Alabama

Hmm. That's a thought. There is a large iron and coal industry just to the south, I don't know about other metals or cement.
Here's another pic showing the seam:
cannonballs3.jpg

I forgot to add one piece of information that might help. I just happen to live on the piece of land that on which once stood the house that Pat Butram was born in! :D That might make things interesting.
Here is the button. Rather unimpressive but exciting as it's the first interesting thing I actually hunted. And what do you expect of something that's spent a good deal of it's life under not one but two layers of gravel on the edge of a driveway? I'm going to use it for my first attempt at cleaning something. It can definitly use it.
button1.jpg

:D I've got plenty of trash though! Including an entire sheet of roofing tin buried flat eight inches under the dirt in the field. :-\ I think I've got a good idea of the location of the Butram house now and I'm going to start serious hunting there. The town's going to have a Butram day sometime this fall and his nephew plans to come up from Texas, maybe then I can get a confirmation on the homesite. There's a lot of conflicting information from the locals but the best sources always point to the south of my house. There is a portion of paved driveway there with no purpose, the rest if the circular is gravel and any further away and the house would have been in a creek, which is absurd. I've also got another homesite from a little later. My house may have been built in the 60s. The records in this town are awfull. But I do have a date on the barn where I found one of these at least. It says 1984 right there in the cement. ;D Besides it's steel truss construction. I wonder how this thing got there under 3 inches of dirt and a foot of horse manure? And the two in the chicken house that is about 15 years old and was opperating until about two years before I moved in, during which two years the house was vacant and the land was leased out to a guy with a lot of horses and no thoughts of cleaning up after himself?

OP
OP
M

MH in Alabama

Ok, after reading that post I got curious despite my cold and I just had to go out for a few minutes and check the area in the barn where I found the one ball. And guess what, not 10 minutes and after digging up my first hit I had a very nice little ... uh... rusty rock. It had a very strong signal, and it is definitly a rock. Here it is:
ironrock.jpg

I don't think it makes sence for them to be using iron balls to crush iron ore rocks but perhaps they were making the iron balls here?
I just keep thinking of the force it would have taken to put that ding in the one. I guess I just have to keep digging!

DigEmAll

Aug 29, 2005
Eastern UP, Michigan
You'd be surprised what a couple thousand of those balls will crush when put into a large tumbler. The smaller the ore is crushed, the easier it is to melt it down.

;)

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Good post! I don't know if you've read any of my postings but I just recently purchased one of these ore balls off ebay sold as a cannonball. It cost me $26 but I plan to use it as a shotput ball. It should make a good game for the kids. Other than that I don't know what I'll do with it. It's way to big for marbles ;D

HH

Badger

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread