Relics in an abandoned house

oravikmatt

Nov 8, 2004
Dahn Tahn Pittsburgh, US of A
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-X
One time while out looking for places to metal detect I found an abandoned house on some wooded property. I walked around the property checking it out and when I got close to the house I noticed all the doors were open or busted in. I looked into the basement and there was still stuff laying around. I went in and looked around and found a WWI canteen hanging next to a set of WWII canvas leggings. I thought the leggings were destroyed but I cleaned them a little and turns out all the white stuff was just mildew and came right off. The canteen was very dirty. But when I cleaned it I could see the date of 1918 and also the name of the person it was issued to was etched on. I had to keep these items, the house was about to collapse and there was no way I was just going to let something special like that get destroyed. I never did get to go back and use my metal detector there.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Even if the house is gone,if I still had access to the property,I would return.It's probably a virgin site with a little history behind it.Try researching history of that area,if possible.Good Luck and H.H. PS-I always did like exploring old abandoned houses! 8)

wittykitty

Greenie
Nov 19, 2004
Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
this might not seem very interesting to some, but while restoring an old 19th-century Victorian farmhouse, we found what appeared to be an old whiskey bottle inside one of the lathe and plaster walls; the bottle is made of glass and is in the shape of a flask; it has no markings, but the cork is still in it, however the top part of it is gone; i don't have any way to date the bottle, so i'm assuming that it was made around 1885, the year that this house was built.

alwayslookin

Sep 30, 2004
Indy
I restored an old back in 1985 the house was built about 1910. In the Attic I found poster sized trasnportation Maps of the sity of Indianapolis dated 1928. Showed al the bus stops, train station and trolly stops for the city at that time. They were using these maps as wind breaks. Only had 2 or 3 that were not painted over and shreded. The Maps aer in color with different colors denoting different types of transportation. I donated one to the Ind. Historical Society and framed one. Just another story of how we find strange things...

kdye401

Oct 22, 2004
Riverside California
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster 6000DI Whites MXT
I own some land in the northern part of Mi. On this land is the original house. It belonged to my wife's Grandparents. The kitchen was built on as an after thought, well it was falling down so I sealed the rest of the house off and tore the walls down. Under the wall footings (I guess that what you call them) I found bottles laying under the footings, really old ones. What I was wondering if anyone new the reasoning behind this, maybe for support? They were all quart booze bottles maybe her Grandpa was hidding them from her Grandma. Thanks Kenny

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it May have been the original builders disposing of the evidence also ;D

OP
OP
oravikmatt

oravikmatt

Nov 8, 2004
Dahn Tahn Pittsburgh, US of A
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1212-X
My dad once restored a kitchen in the house we used to live in and he found an old whiskey bottle in one of the walls. It was made in Pittsburgh,Pa and was spelled without the h on the end. "Pittsburg, Pa". It used to be spelled without the H but I forget what date it was changed. Anyway, the bottle was absolutely perfect. The label was still clean and not peeling and just looked brand new. I think the cork is still with it to. Pretty neat.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions