Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

RW
    us
    Ron

Feb 2007
    Fort Worth'ish
    Golden uMax w/CleanSweep - XP Deus
    4 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Confederate Artillery Button? Fake Morgan? Other buttons... Knife...

Been detecting a lake bed all summer as it slowly dries up from the drought. Started off with the clad line. Then hit the jewelry line. Then found some older coins. Now we are getting to the interesting stuff. Several foundations and debris piles are popping up. I know very little about buttons and relics, but surely the fine folks at T-Net can shed some light.

From a quick search, the "A" button appears to be a Confederate Artillery button. Real deal or fake I don't know, but it is in pretty good shape.

The "Owl in the Bell Tower" is my favorite but I don't have a clue on it.

The "Texan" and the "Texas Rose" I have no idea either...

Then there is the "Morgan Dollar". It has 7 holes drilled thought it and is stamped "BAD" on both sides.
    I think date is 1903 but surely it has to be some kind of fake.

The knife may be nothing, but since found in same area I figured I should post.

Last is a hodge podge of buttons that I also have no idea about...

If anyone has any questions or ideas please feel free to throw them out there...
    I may have some more "stuff" but these things are what jumps out at me.
    Loads of shotgun brass (410, 16, 20, 12, 10) and various rifle and pistol casings.

Thanks for looking, Ron

RW
    us
    Ron

Feb 2007
    Fort Worth'ish
    4 times

Re: Confederate Artillery Button? Fake Morgan? Other buttons... Knife...

So nobody has any ideas on any of these items?
    Are the big pictures scaring people away? Just wanted to show detail but can change to thumbnails...
    I am most curious if the Artillery button is real as I can find no exact match...

Is this better? http://s241.photobucket.com/albums/ff34/motophile/

pr
    Oct 2008
    Vega Baja
    4 times

here is a close one but the curl is different http://www.historicalimagebank.com/g...m61/?g2_page=2

RW
    us
    Ron

Feb 2007
    Fort Worth'ish
    4 times

Pretty darn close... That either makes mine a fake, I doubt it, or really rare, I am hoping.
    Thanks for link.

us
    Aug 2011
    Republic of Texas

RW, I think you have stumbled across a real find. These buttons are simply a stunning find to me. Fascinating pieces of Texas history. The owl button, unusual in that there is holly branches off to one side, an owl in a bell tower that harkens to the Alamo. The rose of Texas in the Lone Star. Stunning Texas Treasure - I am speechless..it's like Texas history gold.. You had better work that site thoroughly before the Autumn rains come..

RW
    us
    Ron

Feb 2007
    Fort Worth'ish
    4 times

Wow that is awesome news! And thanks for the confirmation that the site REALLY NEEDS pounding before it is too late. I will most likely head out there for a while after work today and most of the weekend as well. The biggest obstacle is the buckets of square nails scattered about. Plan on Etrac'ing in TTF with 6" coil and digging all high tones. Also bringing a rare earth magnet not only to clear out the square nails a little, but to also magnet fish in the deeper water area where it appears the trail of goodies leads to.

Thanks again for the information.
    Ron

us
    Dec 2007
    Chattanooga, TN
    Tosoro Bandido
    285 times
    Metal Detecting

I will comment regarding your script A button. In my opinion that button is not correct. Consider that the A was a confederate button but your backmark is for a Union company. Most of the script A and I buttons were English with a good English backmark. Maybe it belonged to a reenactor.

RW
    us
    Ron

Feb 2007
    Fort Worth'ish
    4 times

Quote Originally Posted by duggap
    I will comment regarding your script A button. In my opinion that button is not correct. Consider that the A was a confederate button but your backmark is for a Union company. Most of the script A and I buttons were English with a good English backmark. Maybe it belonged to a reenactor.
    Makes sense and it is possible as British Royal Air Force trained close by from 1914-1918. Have a Civil War place checking it out who should give me a conclusion soon.

us
    Sep 2011
    6 times

That A button looks to be CS but can't say I've seen one quite like it the way that left curly "q" is. Go to relicman.com to check others or send him a note/pic - his name is Harry Ridgeway and he's very knowledgeable. Some of those "buttons" actually look like they're from coveralls like the one with Bend in it. The brass pieces with the little triangles look like some kind of upholstery tacks or decorations...maybe they went into leather but I would guess upholstery. Interesting finds....that A if truly CS is probably quite valuable.

Jul 2012
    I found the exact same "Owl in the Tower" button today in Frederick, MD around some early 1900s town homes. It reminds me of another button I found which was a Victorian era women's clothing button. Did you ever find out anything more on it? I found this old Ebay auction for what appears to be another one:

Metal Antique Medium Sized Button W/Owl In A Belfry/Bell Tower yqz | eBay

-Jeremy
    Last edited by LetsGo82nd; Jul 24, 2012 at 10:32 PM.

Nov 2007
    ,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
    2640 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    You need to post in the whats it section to get seen
    M.X.T , Tesoro Tejon

"A pen in the hand of this president is far more dangerous than a gun in the hands of 200 million law-abiding citizens."

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors