U.S. POSTAL LOCK ?

Whydah

Bronze Member
Feb 24, 2010
New England
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 30-30 Minelab X Calibur 1000 MineLab Equinox 800 Garret Infinium Fisher CZ 21
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Went for another hunt with my new found friend and we seem to be doing jsut fine finding the OLD stuff. Can anyone possatively I D this one for me... Possably a date ? It was found in the water and about a foot and a half deep in the sand. The spring door for the lock works perfect. The chain has long since rotted away from the salt. Any help would be great... Whydah U S Lock (1).JPG U S Lock (2).JPG U S Lock (3).JPG U S Lock (4).JPG U S Lock (5).JPG U S Lock (6).JPG

leprechaun

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030; The only metal detector I'll ever need
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't know much about locks but looks to be from 1800,s U.S. maybe civil war era, super find.:occasion14:

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
I don't know much about locks, but it could be an army lock as stated above. I found one and never could identify it, so I just mounted it. Frank

Heart Lock 475.jpg

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
I took the liberty of posting your lock on a lock collector's forum that I subscribe to and received the following reply:

"Your padlock appears to be a Wilson Bohannon US Lock made under an 1873 patent. It is pictured in an article by Robert Dix entitled "US Armed Forces Locks" in the Jan.-Mar. 2012 issue of Journal of Lock Collecting."

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread