DATING BUTTONS

HERE'S SOME RESEARCH I COLLECTED OVER THE YEARS ON BUTTONS:
- General date for spun-back buttons- 1750 to 1780.
- Brass, mold seam (flat, eye set in brass)- 1726 to 1776.
- Round, brass with soldered eye, not foot to eye present, crown face and crown reverse- 1785 to 1800.
- Brass, crossed cannons on crown face- 1700 to 1765.
- Plain brass, spun-back- 1760 to 1785.
- Round, one piece brass, soldered brass eye with back marks of: Rich Imperial Colour, Super Quality, Best Quality and Design, Treble Gilt (with or without Xtand Colour), Plated & design, Treble Gilt Warranted & Design, Indistinguishable, Gilt & Design- are believed to date from 1800 to 1830.
- Firman & Co., Strand 153- dates around 1825.
- Crest - Smith & Wright ltd, Birmingham, and also Crest - Treble Gilt, as well as W. Silver & Co. London, M.S. Clothier, and GB & RA & S London, and finally- F and B London all date - 1837 to 1865.
- Military buttons like we have today that are domed, two- piece pressed brass, eye loose or soldered in hole, with military insignias on crown face, crown is concave - started being used in 1830 to present.
- Small stamped brass (sunken panel), one type is decorated with a row of small bosses encicling the inner diameter of the rim- 1837 to 1865.
- On a building site that dates from 1800 to 1825, buttons with these back marks were found: Double Gilt, Gilt (3 stars at bottom), Plated, and crown face with fox on top with "Pro Pelle Cutem" and HBC scrolling in the center.
Some of these buttons even date to the late 1700's.
- Perfectionne/Paris- circa 1840.
I hope this helps. YOU CAN HELP ME AND OTHERS BY REPLYING WITH ANY BUTTON INFO THAT YOU HAVE. ALSO KEEP THIS POST ALIVE SO THAT OTHERS NOTICE IT AND KNOW THAT IT EXISTS. A LOT OF KNOWLEDGE CAN BE GAINED ON THIS FORUM!
HAPPY HUNTING. DAVE.

J

Jim Mayo

Tice's book

A great military button book for the years 1776 to 1865 is "Uniform Buttons of the United States" by Warren Tice. For those of you who like buttons, it is worth the money.

j.d. in the usa

Bronze Member
Sep 21, 2003
Allentown Pa.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DFX 300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ty Dave I just started finding old buttons and I know this info will come in handy I appreciate the time and effort you put into writing this information down. many, many kudos to you!!! J.D.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread