image-1726084729.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 182
  • image-487621549.jpg
    image-487621549.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 213

gold guy

Jan 2, 2013
jbnick said:
I found this 'tag' behind an old barn on my parent's property. It is about 8" long and has four different readings on it. They say "barley, wheat, & hemp", "oats", "peas", and "flax". Each saying has a list of corresponding numbers with it that range from 0 up to 5. My guess is some type of a planting schedule. Thanks for looking!
Josh

I've never seen one of these before but my guess is it was on a barn greenhouse etc and it was a schedule and it just fell of u should get it looked at

fordfather

Greenie
Dec 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's a gauge for an automatic seed drill. You adjust the drill opening for the number of seeds you want planted during each cycle or deposition.

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
It's a gauge for an automatic seed drill. You adjust the drill opening for the number of seeds you want planted during each cycle or deposition.
Sounds like a good ID but someone should have asked you for supporting photos, pics, links or references, so it could be marked as solved.

Heres another http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/what/161593-brass-planters-guage.html

and maybe another http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/what/351041-button-i-believe-tag-i-think.html

It appears you joined just to tell us this. Supporting evidence could solve 3 different threads!

Someone with time will have to search this out to see if its true. Thanks for the tip.

Last edited:

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
oops this isnt the What Is It Forum. But it should be moved there.

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I received a PM from fordfather that I will keep private at this time.

First WELCOME TO TREASURENET fordfather!

My response to the PM was this and Im sorry if my post sounded condescending.

We dont know if you are right or wrong (in your identification). You could be a big help to us if you could find a picture of this seed thing. It would help solve 3 different threads.

No you didnt do anything wrong. I happen to believe your guess is very good but without any supporting evidence, its no better than a guess.

I hope you can help us by posting a picture. Anything at all may help. Thanks.

And Im sorry if it sounded condescending.

This thread should be moved to the What Is It Forum but that is not your fault fordfather. I do not know how to report it to a moderator. Does this help clarify my comments? I hope so because I did nothing wrong either.

fordfather

Greenie
Dec 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is actually not a guess. A seed "drill" is pulled behind a plow. The hoppers are loaded with seeds. In the bottom of the hoppers there are openings that can be adjusted for the size or amount of seed that is distributed. Each drill manufacturer used a slightly different mechanism or opening, thus the difference in drill gauges. On new seeders, all adjustments are computer controlled. My grandfather showed me how to use one when I was a child.

fordfather

Greenie
Dec 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
P.s. Scratch plow, insert tractor. I just wanted to help out a fellow seeking information. I will be more concise with all my future questions and answers. Thanks for the gracious welcome, lots of great stuff here. I am an info hound and read almost everything !

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
P.s. Scratch plow, insert tractor. I just wanted to help out a fellow seeking information. I will be more concise with all my future questions and answers. Thanks for the gracious welcome, lots of great stuff here. I am an info hound and read almost everything !
Whatever help you can provide and have already provided is welcome. I searched for a pic but couldnt find anything because I dont know what Im looking for. Would this gauge be mounted permanently on the machine? What years were these used?

I dont think these 3 threads can be marked as SOLVED without a matching pic or something similar. Thanks again.

MODERATOR please move this thread to WHAT IS IT?

Last edited:

fordfather

Greenie
Dec 14, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whatever help you can provide and have already provided is welcome. I searched for a pic but couldnt find anything because I dont know what Im looking for. Would this gauge be mounted permanently on the machine? What years were these used?

I dont think these 3 threads can be marked as SOLVED without a matching pic or something similar. Thanks again.

MODERATOR please move this thread to WHAT IS IT?

Sorry it took so long to respond, been a bit busy this summer.

The first picture is of a seed drill similar to what my grandfather had. I estimate it's from the 1920's ( the hopper box on top is for the seed).

ForumRunner_20130821_173041.png

This pic is a slightly more modern drill (1940's)

i4314-2.jpg

This picture is a rate calculator that is attached to a more modern seed drill (1960's-ish).

140a3330695.png

The first drill pictured, had to have each tube adjusted individually with the artifact/gauge in question. Each manufacturer had a slightly different mechanism (patent) , but the processes and gauges were similar. The seeds would be deposited by an auger that was geared to the wheel/axle. In most cases, the revolution ratio between the auger box and axle were fixed (I.e. 6 to 1 etc.). The farmer would calculate how much seed was needed per acre and adjust the opening in the bottom of the hopper ( with the gauge) to maintain his seeding efficiency. The last picture we'll call "modern mechanical". The hoppers were adjusted with a turn wheel or lever ( the gauge being part of the mechanism) according to the chart which calculated the grain/acre/revolution for the farmer. Current seeding is done with computer/pneumatic controls ( kinda like sucking the seed up and spitting it out) according to a control program. The old gauges would be left on a nail in the shed ( no wonder you found it near one) so they wouldn't be lost in the field. Modern mechanical drills just needed a turn of a wheel or ratchet of a lever to a setting or mark that corresponded to the drill chart. If it were stamped with the o.e.m.'s name, it could be worth something, but there were many small (regional) o.e.m.'s at one point that didn't take the time to trademark every piece that went on or with their equipment. I wouldn't consider it rare, but still a great find that made America the world's grain producer. (Mount a few hooks on it and you've got a key holder to screw on the wall!)

Can we call it solved?

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread