date range help?

ChristineandZach

Tenderfoot
Apr 20, 2013
Louisiana
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi! This is my first post, so please be kind. Found these in my backyard today. I haven't cleaned them up yet because I'm not sure how to do it properly. I live in a historic town in Louisiana and I'm VERY new to this. I can't swing the detector without it beeping like crazy. So this was just a random dig. The old fire insurance maps show that the land was empty except for a stable in one corner of the yard (now covered by a driveway). I'm finding a ridiculous number of square nails, strips of iron and broken bottles. I'm hoping someone can give me an idea of the time period so I can do a little more research. Found the thing with holes about a month ago...any idea what it is? It's driving us crazy. Thanks!! (And I'll get better at this!)( DSC_01992.jpg DSC_02022.jpg DSC_02032.jpg DSC_02042.jpg DSC_02062.jpg

got2dig

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2012
Mid-Tenn
Detector(s) used
XLT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Welcome to T-net, the glass is a ink well, very cool find. As for a date hard to tell but I will say 1800s. Hunt that site good and take your time, there will be some good stuff there for you...HH

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm finding a ridiculous number of square nails, strips of iron and broken bottles.

Hello Christine & Zach,

Welcome to the TNet, and thanks for showing us your finds. The ink has been near a fire. Being the old bottle digger that I am, lots of broken bottles means dump or privy to me. I'd want to probe, or dig the area. Trash pits and privies are frequently found around and under old barns...

What year Sanborn map were you consulting? The ink looks 1890 plus or minus change. I may be able to date it better, if you showed the base and the area where the side seam meets the lip...

Continued good luck.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread