Brass Plate Identity?

picnic42

Feb 6, 2010
Frankfort, Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT and Whites V3
My wife Peggy found this in an agricultural field using her trusty XLT. My first thought was some sort of tractor or farm machinery gauge. I polished it just to show it's still able to shine again! The metal was in the same condition as other brass pieces found all over the farm area.
The reason I am posting this, enlisting your help... this farmland area was also used for "military training" during the Civil War era. Which causes me to imagine it could be from something related to military weaponry circa 1860's. We have found a variety of CW buttons, minnie balls, and other CW artifacts and a variety of coins dated to the same time period, in that same field and nearby.
Can anyone identify this plate? Or at least suggest any possibilities???

I hope to hear from someone... it is a mystery.
Ralph & Peggy

Attachments

• Image.jpg
    Image.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 168

snowtrooper49

Greenie
Sep 27, 2012
Farmington Hills, MI
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi there!

This looks to be a portion of a brass spring scale. Not sure of the exact make, but here are a few pics of a Morton & Bremner of New York 48lb brass spring scale. Increments are the same and the hole to the bottom right of the 48 on your piece seem to match where it would be pinned together on the Morton & Bremner.

Morten & Bremer NY 48lb Spring Scale Full.jpg

Morten & Bremer NY 48lb Spring Scale Up Close.jpg

Very cool find!

Attachments

• Morton & Bremer 48lb Spring Scale.jpg
    Morton & Bremer 48lb Spring Scale.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 247
OP
OP
picnic42

picnic42

Feb 6, 2010
Frankfort, Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT and Whites V3
Hi there!

This looks to be a portion of a brass spring scale. Not sure of the exact make, but here are a few pics of a Morton & Bremner of New York 48lb brass spring scale. Increments are the same and the hole to the bottom right of the 48 on your piece seem to match where it would be pinned together on the Morton & Bremner.

View attachment 791868

View attachment 791870

Very cool find!
Wow... Thank you very much... sure seems to match!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread