Old farmhouse

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maps is what id go by ah mayb town Hall récords could help is there an owner u know of

OP
OP
Hammer81

Hammer81

Apr 26, 2013
virginia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola / Whites Coinmaster Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The owner doesnt know how old the house is. All the maps I look at doenst show the house but I know for sure it has been there since 1950s an the house is all but on the ground. I was just trying to figure out if it would be worth hunting

«JDS»

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try historicmapworks.com they have many maps for alot of States & towns & u can overlay a current map as well may help u find a date
Another thing that also seems to work real good is if u google the house#, on the street its on with the state & town usually a realestate site will pop up giving u lots of info Ive done it befor got date when built,how many rooms,bathrooms,property size,ect & give pics so id try that

OP
OP
Hammer81

Hammer81

Apr 26, 2013
virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Ill try the historic map works..there is no road to it it sets in the middle of a 100 acre farm...gotta be somethin good there though the more I think about it

«JDS»

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Should b an address some where for it he has to get mail id assume

OP
OP
Hammer81

Hammer81

Apr 26, 2013
virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
He lives in a different town

«JDS»

JOHUNT

Sep 24, 2009
Southern tier of New York
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Uploading a pic would help us help you. Most structures can be dated just by looking at style and materials used. Is it on a concrete or stone foundation? What kind of lumber was used, rough cut, hand hewn logs, or pressure treated? Is there electric?
Old abandoned home sites, cellar holes ,Etc. are my favorite spots. I would definitely detect it. As a matter of fact, I would've already detected it rather than ask questions! Research is great, but this spot might be gold if it's not even on maps. Try the online GIS tax maps of your county, they usually have layers for different years. For example my county has layers for all the way back to 1936 in arial view.
I'll also point out that just because the present structure may not seem old, that doesn't mean that a colonial cabin didn't once stand in the same exact spot! There's also a chance for gold,silver, jewelry,Etc. anywhere you search. You got a good spot. Search it, but be careful if you're thinking of entering the structure. It would be much safer to get a tractor or truck and pull it down with chains. Good luck

mo dirt diggin

Sep 3, 2012
Souteast Missouri
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, 950 Coil, 4x6 eclipse coil, DX-1, Bullseye 2 pinpointer, Pro pointer, Lesche Sampson 31inch.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you have permission to hunt it, go do a check out hunt and see if you can date the finds. I try every place I get permission. Good Luck n Happy Hunting

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agreed I take relic hunting cellar holes over anything lol

Fritos56

Apr 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You could try the county courthouse,they may have old property records also any local historical society as well. If you can post a photo of this house,that would be great.By looking at the archectical details a person can get a general idea of when it was built.Also as was already mentioned, there may have been older structures on the location too.

Big Bad John

Jul 3, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you have permission to hunt it, go do a check out hunt and see if you can date the finds. I try every place I get permission. Good Luck n Happy Hunting
Do not waste your time trying to find out how old the house is. Get permission and search. Good luck.

JOHUNT

Sep 24, 2009
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It would not be a total waste of time to find out the age of the home and more importantly, if there was an older home/structure on the property. If the house has original plumbing, then you wouldn't bother looking for an outhouse/privy hole. If there was an older home there, then there was probably an outhouse.
The more you can find out about the property the better. If you can find old photos, that would be perfect.
This site may help youMyTopo Free Online Topo Maps

OP
OP
Hammer81

Hammer81

Apr 26, 2013
virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I've been to site gonna have to wait til winter, all grown up right now..ive tried those maps seems i cant find them for my area also tried historic map works, google earth... Maybe i dont know wat im doing

«JDS»

JOHUNT

Sep 24, 2009
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I figured it was probably grown up. Good luck with it. Did you try the overlay option in historicmapworks? From there you can slide the opacity and compare satellite imagery to the old maps. Can you describe the house so we can help you with it's age?

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I figured it was probably grown up. Good luck with it. Did you try the overlay option in historicmapworks? From there you can slide the opacity and compare satellite imagery to the old maps. Can you describe the house so we can help you with it's age?

Very surprised historic map works has wow a crazy amount of mapa & the overlay is how to find those keepers

OP
OP
Hammer81

Hammer81

Apr 26, 2013
virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The house is 2 story it just look like any old farm except it is all but fallin down. It has a rock foundation, not sure bout outhouse didnt see 1 but it could have fallin down by now. It has this really old metal fence around the yard and and between the house and barn there is wat looks like an old chicken coop or corn crib.

«JDS»

OP
OP
Hammer81

Hammer81

Apr 26, 2013
virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I know for sure the house has been vacant since the early 70s my ole man hunted this land back then

«JDS»

toe2short

May 28, 2013
NJ
Detector(s) used
Minelab safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OLD FARM HOUSE! 1950 I have to go lay down. I was born that year. I guess I am a relic.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread