REAR FLANK DIGGING on CW BATTLEFIELD

mudduck

Jul 24, 2013
SOUTHEAST VA
Detector(s) used
GARRETT AT PRO; XP DEUS
Found me a new spot that is has been good to me. It is private land that belongs to a family friend.

It is a diggers dream AND a diggers nightmare. It is THICK! I am talking so think you can hardly swing the coil. This goes on for acres and acres. You walk just looking for a patch the size of a living room to swing your coil. It is THICK with thickets, thorn bushes and other knee high vegetation.

It is a dream in the sense that it is virgin land to metal detecting. 95% of the holes I dug today were relics and I dug ZERO trash other than a few shotgun shells.

I have pulled a bunch of frags (nice size pieces), bullets (various shapes and sizes), a flat button, grape shot AND what looks like a compass for maps. I have only touched 5% of this site. The other 95% is so thick, it is impossible. However, there is hope that that will change soon.

Attachments

• photo-30.JPG
    photo-30.JPG
    520.6 KB · Views: 210
  • photo-32.JPG
    photo-32.JPG
    1,020.2 KB · Views: 152
  • IMG_8739.jpeg
    IMG_8739.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 179

markp

Dec 3, 2013
Peytona,WV
Detector(s) used
White dfx, and Garrett at pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
nice finds, I wish I lived in VA. I'm from WV, and I do have some CW sites I hunt, but a lot of them are straight up and down. I also use the AT Pro. I'm a Civil war buff, but my wife thinks I'm a dork like you. LOL

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hard hunting there.But it looks like it is paying off for you.There is nothing like brush tangling up your machine and something constantly snagging your headphones off your head.Allot of times thickets are over looked because people do not want to go through that.I know that what are woods now could have been fields back then or vise- versa.But who knows? ,it could have been a thicket back during the war too.There where allot of civil war soldiers missing in action; and places like thickets are probably why most where never found.Good example is The Spotsylvania Wilderness.Never know what you will find in thickets. Good luck and keep on gettin it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread