another detector?

jhamner

Dec 2, 2008
I love my MXT, but it's just about worn out and I also have a lot of trouble with the coils going bad. White's has been fantastic fixing them for me, but I've sent them back so many times, I'm now ashamed to do so again! I was thinking about trying another machine this time--either a Fisher or a Garrett or maybe you have other suggestions. I had a Minelab, but just couldn't get used to tuning it properly. I'm more or less a "turn it on and go guy" and my main focus is Civil War relics. What are your suggestions please?

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tesoro Tejon.

BamaBill

Nov 8, 2006
N. Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-terra 70, AT Pro, Tesoro Tejon, ML X-terra 50
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Try an X-terra 705 or a used 70 in good shape (I use a 70 myself). I used to use an MXT as my main detector before I got the X-terra 70 and it's been a very good replacement with very comparable features, without the weight.

HDRK11

Feb 3, 2013
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Excal, MXT, Tejon & Silver Umax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I second the Tejon. I have both the MXT and Tejon and love them both.

Last edited:

Silver_Sn1per

May 14, 2012
Eastern Tennessee
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, CTX3030, Etrac, Safari, AT-Pro, Whites Blue & Grey
(American History Metal Detecting)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
From my extensive research, the T2se and the XP Deus seem to be the go to VLF detectors for relics. If you're considering going to DIV I would recommend a PI machine. (Minelab GPX 5000, Garrett ATX)

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How does a Whites Coil Sound When it's bad?
What does it do?
I've had the same coil on my XLT With no coil issues (Except "Beeping" when the coil hit's a small tree or rock.
I had to spray Bed Liner type spray on the bottom of the coil cause it was about to wear through.
It does not sound right to me you having to repeatedly having to send in your coils .
I guess the type of machine you get depends on how much money your willing to spend.
Good Luck.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread