Help! Beauty of a find...no clue

usmcscorpio

Oct 7, 2003
Delaware
:?: Hello to all...I found this very old looking "Colonial Bust" ring in the old historic downtown part of New Albany Indiana. I was using a White's XLT, and dug the ring from a solid 10+ depth...very solid packed soil too. At any rate...the ring is a very heavy man's ring..(size 7 I think) and made of silver...(I haven't cleaned the ring at all...you just "know" silver when it comes up outta the ground:) The "bust" is of a colonial man...(perhaps of political fame?) :roll: AnyHoo...I am humbly requesting any information or help with the ring, in terms of age, details, value, or any of the above. Thanks in advance for your time and help! George

SCdigger

Apr 6, 2003
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Shadow X5, Fisher F75/F70, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You may have a historically significant ring...LOOKS like a wax seal...the ring owner would make impression in a "blob" of wax on the back of an envelope to seal it...if you could find out "who" it is, might be worth some big bucks!!!!

MIG73

Sep 17, 2003
I do not believe it is a wax seal, and this is why. In my searching for a match to your ring, all the wax seals I found had a concave impression, therby leaving a 3-d imprint. The carving on this ring is obviously 3-d , and would thereby leave a concave impression. It may still be a signficant find, and I hope for you that it is, but I dont think that the wax seal idea is correct. Best of luck.
MIG

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread