looking to hunt remnants of old mill

jcono

Aug 31, 2011
Hello,

Hunting with a Sov GT. This is on old family property; there is a small creek running now, but at one time a mill had been built at an area where the creek had been dammed. In pics, see wood left, incredibly, still intact even after approx. 150 yrs.!

Earthen dams were built either side of the creek so the water level could rise. I plan on hunting the berms, top and both sides, and in the water around the wood structure that remains.

Any suggestions?
thanks, J.

Attachments

• mill1.jpg
    mill1.jpg
    165.1 KB · Views: 144
  • mill2.jpg
    mill2.jpg
    197.6 KB · Views: 132
  • mill3.jpg
    mill3.jpg
    182.6 KB · Views: 129
  • mill4.jpg
    mill4.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 133

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Real cool looking spot... my only suggestion would be to hunt everywhere around that area and let your finds lead you.
My own personal experience is that you'll probably find more old items close to the surface on the sides of slopes.. Not to say they couldn't be anywhere just that the soil usually has eroded away exposing more old material in those areas.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jcono

Aug 31, 2011
Thanks GatorBoy... hope to hit it next week if possible. I will def. post finds if I have any!

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looking forward to seeing.
Your welcome and good luck

OP
OP
J

jcono

Aug 31, 2011
I finally hit this area for a few hours yesterday- tough hunt because it was raining hard most of the time.
I'm still getting used to relic hunting and dealing with roots, rocks, etc... anyway stayed mostly on the slope of one side of the creek... found old rusty pliars (not too old though.) Also found an old suspension spring, I figured from an old car... I left it there but might get it next time I go back... funny thing is, today I went to an old preserved farm and saw ALMOST THE EXACT SAME SPRING on a carriage they had displayed!!

I will hit this area again soon- see pics of carriage and close up of spring-

Attachments

• pliars.jpg
    pliars.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 107
  • carriage.jpg
    carriage.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 109
  • springs.jpg
    springs.jpg
    149.6 KB · Views: 96

duggap

Bronze Member
Dec 11, 2007
Chattanooga, TN
Detector(s) used
Tosoro Bandido
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Another ole boy and myself have hunted a lot of mills. My suggestion would be to stand on the mill site and look for the nearest high spot. That was where the troops usually camped. Then try and imagine where there would have been a camp site. Many times people would travel by wagon quite a distance to get their grain milled and would often stay the night. Those camp sites can be wonderful to hunt. Good luck.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread