New guy wants to relic hunt.....

ponz

Oct 15, 2014
Kansas City, MO
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello all,

It will take a couple more paydays before I'm ready to buy a MD. In the meanwhile I've been reading a lot here, but I'm still puzzled.

I'm more interested in locating Civil War memorabilia/artifacts than anything else. I live in Kansas City, MO.

I've been reading, here, 'till my eyes were bleeding. Frequencies, depth, DD rings, ground balance....etc. But I still can't put my finger on a detector most suitable for Civil War stuff, which I assume would be mostly lead bullets, brass, copper and steel/iron. I might be able to spend up to $500 or so.

Thanks in advance,
Ponz

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are bound to get all sorts of different opinions here but my advice to you would be if you're willing to spend 500 there abouts do yourself a favor and get an A.T. Pro.
Getting something like an ace 250 will probably do the job just fine but will leave you wanting to upgrade after a while.
The AT comes with a DVD that describes in detail and demonstrates most everything you would want to do with it.... It can get wet... you could even hunt underwater with it if you so choose.. It's simple to use and set up so it's easy to learn in my opinion.
If I were only going to have one detector to use for all the hunting I do for me hands down the best choice for me is an AT Pro

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
Dont buy new buy used,you can get a much better machine for 500 bucks if its used than you could brand new.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With zero warranty.. And no idea what went on with that machine before you handed your cash over... And It probably wouldn't even be waterproof.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
With zero warranty.. And no idea what went on with that machine before you handed your cash over

That would be up to the store where you bought it from,you cant say every store that sells used detectors wont have a warranty..Buy from a reputable place of business you'll get what you pay for,buy from a fly by night outfit,well that is like buying sneakers from chinamart.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread