Need some advice

Hosensack

Apr 20, 2007
Mertztown, Pa
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Safari,X-Terra 705, Tesoro Tejon, Whites DFX, Garrett AT Pro, GTI 2500, 250, Fisher Gold Bug DP,F75 Limited
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found an old plot of some sort, my history searches have come up rather empty. The only thing I found that may or may not be it, is a casinet mill last sold in 1846, burnt down at some point. My finds are old tool heads(very rusty) barb wire along the perimeter(which until I looked here, thought was a wasted find.(grew up in farm country so barb wire did not exactly get my heart rate going). Also a hit with the metal detector on what turned out to be a pull tab(flood plain wash up) but while digging for it found many small pieces of old plates and dishware.

Any way along the back end is a maybe 4' diameter,sunken hole(sunk maybe a foot below grade, but obvious crater) At first I thought out house or well, but digging down I found what seems to be foundation, digging is not easy but definitely seems to be flat enough and long enough stretch to be part of a foundation(the old red bricks that I dug up there as well also help lead to this conclusion.) But my question is does this seem like well or outhouse or possibly a cellar entrance.

And finally the foundation seems to be maybe a foot or 2 below surface, so what is my best route for metal detecting, seems most smaller things will be to deep for detection(Quick Draw II).

Sorry this is so long very excited to find this web site and get a lot of answers to questions already just reading posts and now I feel I may finally be on my way to uncovering my find.

Capefearsman

Mar 5, 2007
Cape Fear, NC
Detector(s) used
XLT,Double Eagle
I would take 6" or so of dirt off an area and see what you come up with. I have places that You have to take dirt off to pick anything up because of ground conditions Ect, In that situation, I dig until I do not get any hits. should be coins there. Work the foundation as well. Good luck!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread