How do I find who owns this land?

robncoop

Greenie
Dec 13, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After talking to a fellow relic hunter he put me on to a awesome site.problem...I can't find who owns the property. It's behind wawa convenience store.looked at property maps on my local government website.wawa doesn't own it.a railroad is close by but can't tell if they own it.im at a dead end.the person who put me onto the site has found gold coins and civil relics.he may have trespassed but I refuse to.how can I find out?

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
the government authority that issues property tax bills will have the information. Where I live, that would be the County Assessor. You would need the parcel number. Where I live, that information is on the plat maps, also available from the County Assessor.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
The property tax assessor has a map.

Go to office, look at map.

Since you gave no clue or indication of where you are- it's hard to answer your question.

My county is online. I can zoom in on any spot of land and it tells me who owns it, what the tax is- so on and so forth.

Anduril

Bronze Member
Aug 31, 2015
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI-2500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Get a copy of the property survey for the Wawa convenience store - probably on file with the county, especially if zoning or community hearings were involved.
The survey will likely identify the adjoining property owners.

If you can't find the survey locally, call Wawa's real estate department and ask them nicely to check it for you.
They may even email you the page. Good luck!

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Most countiess have a County Auditor site (here in Ohio). Many have a map similar to google maps that you can zoom into an area, and click on the property. You can then view where the tax bill is sent and the owners name.

OP
OP
robncoop

robncoop

Greenie
Dec 13, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks.found who owns it,a commercial real estate company. I'm probably gonna have to print off release from liability forms and what not dealing with a company as such.

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
Please let us know the process you went through to find the information. That and where the property is located (city, county, state). The offices one goes to varies slightly from one jurisdiction to another. Sharing this information may be helpful to others near you.

time for coffee

OP
OP
robncoop

robncoop

Greenie
Dec 13, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fairly strait forward.find the local government (county) website.they should have something called GIS maps.Its very similar to Google Earth but shows the parcels of land and it's boundaries. Once you locate the place you want to hunt it will have a parcel code (ex. 54L 18).now once this has been obtained click out of the map back to the main site.under the same GIS maps should be an option called real estate /tax maps.click the real estate button,find the search bar and pop in the parcel number and search.when your search returns it should come back with how many acres it is and a address of who owns it.after I had the address ,I just put the address of the owner in Google maps and it popped right up.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread