Indian camps

brandy

Jan 15, 2005
SOUTH ARKANSAS
I have hunted for indian artifacts for over 30 years now. If you are in a wooded area it is hard to hunt because of ground cover. Look for washed out places or ravines cut into hillsides where artifacts may have been uncovered by rain. Also in my part of the country, South Ar., look for armadillo holes as the little buggers will move a lot of dirt. If digging is permitted where you're at (Please check out all laws on this as they differ from state to state.) do a test dig. I do a test dig with posthole diggers. You simply pick out the most likely looking places and dig down about 2 feet. Deposit all dirt in 5 gallon buckets and take it home where you can place it in a sifter and use water hose to search it. Keep and catalog all flint debitage, fire rock, broken pieces of pottery, etc. If you took your buckets of dirt from several different places on the site, you should be finding enough evidence to show you where to dig. To do a controlled dig just string you off a 2 feet wide ditch and start across your most productive area. Also there will be a waterway close to your site. Don't overlook the potential here. If it's a small creek with rocky bottom, simply walk and wade and look for the artifacts on the bottom. They will be there. If the creek has a mud bottom with dingy water, still look all washouts and bluff banks for artifacts washing out. You can also make a screen on a pole and seine the bottom. This is a quick overview but hope it helps.

E59

Feb 28, 2005
On the river bank
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Brandy's advice is excellent, I've found my most perfect artifacts in ravines and in crick beds. Happy hunting and keep us posted! How did you find the area? I've only located campsites in the plowed up fields around my house but there is plenty of good forest along the river if I knew what to look for. Sara

OP
OP
B

BULL

Thanks Sara and Brandy !!

I found this area through researching some local history books in the library ;) Boy if my teachers could see me now they would be truning over in their graves ;D

This wooded area is actually on a local lake and there are NO ravines etc. I am in Florida there is nothing higher than an ant hill here ;D The area is mostly Pine forest and rattlesnakes :( In researching this area I have seen some clearings(using terra server maps) , not sure if this is nature or a place that was once used. Guess I got to check them all out.

Again, thanks for all the help and suggestions and if you can think of anything else please let me know.

S

SASQUASH

Hay BULL hear in So. Cal. there is a lot of clearing & easy to see the top stuff but when I'm in the Mnts, Where there is lots of leaves I find a most likely spot & rake 10'x10' area then test then go from there. By the way if you want to make some money when you are out there the hospital will pay you for Rattle-snake venom her it is $250 per snake milked. There are people that teach how to do it. The antivenom is in short supply do to the fact that it only is good for a short time & then they throw it out. they allways need more. HAVING MORE FUN THEN PEOPLE ERR SASQUASH <><

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread