Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never found a bow tie as they really needed time to heat a rail and bend it. But I have a lot of the old gauge Civil war track and a switch piece that was between Chattanooga and Bridgeport,Ala. Lot of the civil war track ended up in the coal mines after the war as well. The area I am in was the rail center of the south and always enjoy lugging that stuff home. Have thought about cutting some and restoring but most my stuff is several feet long and really hate cutting it up. I also have the plates and bolts connecting two pieces. There is a lot written about the tracks back then but everyone used different sizes from state to state. It was towards the end of the war when is all became a standard size.
You have a nice relic.
Here is a civil war rail road bridge we used to hunt. It was the largest engineering project during the war. Original was burned by the union. The union rebuilt this one then a flood took it in the late 1800"s. The limestone pillars are still there as are many others in this area. Thanks for the topic!

detected this one_CW_2.jpg

OP
OP
devldog

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Dug, I'll be honest I've never tried the Evapo -Rust. In fact this is my first time using the Rust Converter. After hearing about the Gemplers and watching some videos on it I thought I'd give it a try. I found the Evapo - Rust down here in several automotive stores, but I still wanted to give the other a try. It does tend to be a little pricy, but I started out with a quart to see how far it will go. It is sort of like Bryl Crème ( A lil' dab will do ya ). It goes a long way. The Evapo - Rust may be as good, I just couldn't say as I've never used it. But again, I have been real pleased with the results I've gotten using the Gemplers. Best of Luck to you.

OP
OP
devldog

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice post, pic., and History on the RR. Tnmountains. I did some magnet fishing under a railroad bridge here too that was burned by the Union. I pulled up some old iron coupling pins and some other pieces. I hope to return to this same site before too long. I feel like there is still some stuff down there. Congrat's to you on the RR track you have. That is a nice little piece that Dug found in the camp. I still think it would be great to find a Sherman Bow Tie or a piece of one. I guess if there are still some left they are DEEP in the ground.

Dug

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
SC Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Sovereign GT.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I just ordered a Qt of Gemplers. I believe I may be confusing the two, as Evapo removes the rust and Gemplers converts any surface rust to a coating. Neither can tackle the scale or scabs if you will that will certainly turn into eruptions if not addressed. I was using a dremel with diamond bit to dig them out but felt kind of like a dentist drilling out a cavity. Using a dremel is tedious work so I just ordered a compact needler/scaler (air tool) from HF and will use that to remove the deposits prior to using the Evapo. I may then put a final coat of Gemplers over the flash rust and then I am undecided whether to final coat with micro crystalline wax or clear laquer.

OP
OP
devldog

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I believe a detector would scream as never before. I believe you'll like the results on the iron piece after using the Gemplers. A coat ontop of the Gemplers may not be needed. That would be up to you, but I like the results I have had so far. If you will post a pic. Of the RR piece once you've restored it. I know it will be sharp looking.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
I heard the old guys talking about these bow ties. They said there was one in the woods in SC, along the old railroad. I will see if I can find the exact location and details.

OP
OP
devldog

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Dug, I just noticed your avatar as being in the S.C. Lowcountry. What part of S.C. are you from? My Dad was born in Charleston, S.C. in 1932. South Carolina is a beautiful state. I lived in Beaufort, S.C. for 3 years from 1976 - 1979 while in the Marine Corps on Parris Island. Love the pic. Of your S.C. state seal button. The first button I ever found was a S.C. state seal button in Atlanta in the early 80's. My first button was a Confetrit' button and I was blown away. It is a cuff button and it still has most of the gold gilt on it. Even though I am a native Georgian, I have always had ties to South Carolina.

OP
OP
devldog

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That would be a real treat to find one of these or just a piece of one.

Dug

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
SC Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Sovereign GT.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Dug, I just noticed your avatar as being in the S.C. Lowcountry. What part of S.C. are you from? My Dad was born in Charleston, S.C. in 1932. South Carolina is a beautiful state. I lived in Beaufort, S.C. for 3 years from 1976 - 1979 while in the Marine Corps on Parris Island. Love the pic. Of your S.C. state seal button. The first button I ever found was a S.C. state seal button in Atlanta in the early 80's. My first button was a Confetrit' button and I was blown away. It is a cuff button and it still has most of the gold gilt on it. Even though I am a native Georgian, I have always had ties to South Carolina.

That SC3 is the first Civil War button I found and I dug it in downtown Beaufort in 1994 using of all things a Fisher 1280X Aquanaut water machine, didn't know what I had dug at the time. LOL, we probably drove by each other a few times as I was stationed at the MCAS 77-80, (also 90-96 & 99-03) and did a lot of fishing from PI pond and CID dock. I live fairly close to PI now.

I sent you a pm.

Last edited:

Palmetto Pony

Aug 21, 2016
SC Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus /Teknetics T2 Classic/Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That SC3 is the first Civil War button I found and I dug it in downtown Beaufort in 1994 using of all things a Fisher 1280X Aquanaut water machine, didn't know what I had dug at the time. LOL, we probably drove by each other a few times as I was stationed at the MCAS 77-80, (also 90-96 & 99-03) and did a lot of fishing from PI pond and CID dock. I live fairly close to PI now.

I sent you a pm.

Dug I probably FLEW by you a few times! I was stationed in Savannah '88-'92 and flew into MCAS Beaufort a few times and flew over MANY times. I flew on Coast Guard Dolphins, you know, the orange "Tupperwolfs"! LOL

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some of my favorite iron items are the narrow gauge railroad spikes I have found on Civil War battlefields. Seems the Confederates used them as tent spikes. I just have a few.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is there any reason to not use electrolysis ? I have amazing results with iron unless it has been in the water. On a canister of grape shot last time I used apple cider vinegar and was pleased with the results. I then waxed them. some were havily pitted and other showed the seams after cleaning.
Be sure and do a post in the preservation section. I like learning new skills.

Dug

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
SC Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Sovereign GT.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Dug I probably FLEW by you a few times! I was stationed in Savannah '88-'92 and flew into MCAS Beaufort a few times and flew over MANY times. I flew on Coast Guard Dolphins, you know, the orange "Tupperwolfs"! LOL

I used to look up at them and wave when fishing over on PI, still do.

Dug

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
SC Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Sovereign GT.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Is there any reason to not use electrolysis ? I have amazing results with iron unless it has been in the water. On a canister of grape shot last time I used apple cider vinegar and was pleased with the results. I then waxed them. some were havily pitted and other showed the seams after cleaning.
Be sure and do a post in the preservation section. I like learning new skills.

My attempts keep morphing. Right now I'm looking at this as an attempt from beginning: wire brush, soak in vinegar for several days, wire brush and soak/rinse in baking soda water, needle-scale deposits (scabs/scale), wire brush, soak in distilled water, bake over fire for an hour, wire brush, coat in Gemplers when cooled down. On the fence whether to microwax after Gemplers depending how it comes out. May need to wait several weeks to post because if it erupts again it will be back to the drawing board.

I used to electrolysis but I think the vinegar does just as good a job. If I have smaller thin items I will use the Evapo-Rust instead of the vinegar.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My attempts keep morphing. Right now I'm looking at this as an attempt from beginning: wire brush, soak in vinegar for several days, wire brush and soak/rinse in baking soda water, needle-scale deposits (scabs/scale), wire brush, soak in distilled water, bake over fire for an hour, wire brush, coat in Gemplers when cooled down. On the fence whether to microwax after Gemplers depending how it comes out. May need to wait several weeks to post because if it erupts again it will be back to the drawing board.

I used to electrolysis but I think the vinegar does just as good a job. If I have smaller thin items I will use the Evapo-Rust instead of the vinegar.
\

I have had problems when heating old iron as it will delaminate. Once it does that you can not go back. Slow and easy is always best. There are a lot of before and after techniques in the preservation section. Good luck!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions