Have I found Trade Rings?

dirtshogun

Aug 28, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi,

1st post here. I was out detecting a woodlot beside an orchard which is known to few to have been a late woodland site in which the majority of surface finds we collected between the 50's and 80's. I go there and still find the odd broken point, tons of chert and the odd piece of pottery. I'm in Southern Ontario Canada. My area has been known for French Trade Relics. The Iroquois, the Neutrals and the Huron trade with the French and British. I was out hoping to find a Trade Axe. Instead, I was pretty quick to find these two copper rings not 5 feet from each other. Someone I respect in the artifact community was quick to say they were copper trade rings, and because the recorded history in my area, they date in the early 1600's. I am thrilled if thats what they are.I was hoping to get some second opinions.
Thanks!! IMG_4603.jpg IMG_4607.jpg

Wampum

Jun 13, 2011
Tioga County PA.
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The fur trade rings that I am familiar with are Jesuit rings which those are not. They may actually be rings traded by the French like you said. I know the traders would bring trinkets like that to trade and ship them by the barrel full. I think they may be trade rings especially since you say you found them nearby known native artifacts in an area known for fur trade history. Looking at the construction of them they do look more like fur trade trinkets than say a more sturdy brass component of something. Good finds I like them. I look forward to seeing what else you find from there.

11KBP

Oct 7, 2008
Central Great Plains
If the rings are related to the fur trade then there should be more metal items on that site which will verify they are trade items. I would continue searching the area with a detector (all metals mode).

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very old, and cool finds regardless - Congratulations! :occasion14:

bill_wabo

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2014
Quebec
Detector(s) used
helmet from pomelo
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Tesoro Mojave,
Garrett Carrott
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Still old rings, congrats on the cool finds.

bill_wabo

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2014
Quebec
Detector(s) used
helmet from pomelo
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Tesoro Mojave,
Garrett Carrott
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And welcome to the forum Dirtshogun ;)