NapervilleDan

Dec 29, 2019
Naperville, Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Or are these addicting?

I find it very interesting to look at maps from the past. Previously, I had seen a video on YouTube about the Sanborn Fire Insurance Maps. Very cool.

Today I found another video which has a very helpful feature which overlays the newer maps. Historicmapworks.com

Unfortunately, I'm in Illinois, so I'll have to wait for better weather.

I've found some forested areas that used to have homesteads on them. I'm a little psyched to go exploring. I'm definitely going to be keeping some notes be prepare for the warm months here. Maybe even printout a few maps.

Cheers,

Dan

mindcrime1988

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2011
Southeast Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, XP Deus II, DetectorPro Headhunter, BlissTool & Pulsedive
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I do lots of research from old maps as well. They can be quite informative. Another site you might want to check out is Historicaerials where the user is able to switch between satellite and topos and then toggle the various years as well.

smallfoot

Bronze Member
May 29, 2019
Flawda
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Geological surveys show lots of info also!

Gene Mean

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2016
Central NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350
Equinox 800
Eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The old maps are very cool and helpful. Don't wait too long to get into the woods, things will start growing again soon.

teleprospector

Silver Member
Jul 8, 2007
The Motor City
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Extended Sensory Perception, L-rod, Y-rod, pendulum, angle rods, wand.
White's MXT, Garrett Ultra GTA 500, AT Gold, SCUBA Detector Pro Headhunter, Tesoro Sidewinder, Stingray, 2 box-TF900, Fisher TW-6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes! You're on the right track! There are some sites and apps/programs that let you overlay the old maps over current aerials or the other way around! It really speeds up
your research letting you see up to date potential search sites. We still use a Xerox and clear sheets to scale the old plat maps over the aerials, that works but takes awhile.
Jon 8-) :cat: :occasion14: :headbang:

Tiredman

Bronze Member
Oct 15, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
I use topo maps of different years and scale for researching lost treasure stories and some go into the finished books. Some might be interested to know ghost town sites appear on them.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread