Civil war buckle found in a really old house on a farm

4FathersPast

Feb 21, 2020
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5 and the Garrett at pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I found this old buckle in a old house on the property my dad and I was metal detecting. If anyone could let me know if it's real or not that would be great. FB_IMG_1550366513119.jpg FB_IMG_1550366523353.jpg 1495058272002a5a461045eb90fda2242a44850542e799ad628f607a10f7ba9ab5ae8c9c3fd09d887528c496ccc92bc1.jpg

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can you tell us what state it was found in, and what kind of soils were present? The soils make a huge difference in the patina of a buried object. Your particular buckle has very little lead oxidation on the back, and the lead seems a little overfilled. Knowing the soil type and if any other CW items were found with it would help. It is not unusual at all to find buckles at house sites...I ought to know...I'm sure others will chime in.

OP
OP

4FathersPast

Feb 21, 2020
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was found in the third oldest city in Louisiana.... (Opelousas) The area is a old faithful kind of site and has been dug several times yielding several civil war items. The buckle was found inside what looked like a old milk crate along with a old uniform coat located in a underground cellar with a hidden access point through a fireplace. I could tell it had been in the ground before due to what looks like a plow mark from rolling over it.

Like a idiot I did try and wash the dirt off and may have done more harm to it than good. I'm really curious if it is real and is there a accurate way to do that other then looking for patina and oxidation?

Last edited:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And size. The size matters. Considering your circumstances I would guess it is an original. Take a close look at ones on Ebay, and at reproduction ones also. Do you have the "old" uniform coat? If it is recoverable, go snag it.

OP
OP

4FathersPast

Feb 21, 2020
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unfortunately the uniform coat was disintegrated from what looked like rats and it fell apart. There was some buttons that my dad kept off of it and I can see if I can get a picture of it. What is the proper size of a original?

MickeyFinn

Sep 9, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you turn it upside down, it will be a confederate belt buckle!!

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
Real? Absolutely. Modern replica? Maybe but I dont think so. Cool find!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions