Dating cartridge by headstamp?

abqfox

May 17, 2020
Albuquerque, NM
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We found what appears to be an old cartridge while detecting today. The headstamp says:
Peters
45 Colt

With all of the research I’ve done on this, I have yet to find any mention of this particular headstamp. Most I’ve seen either contain the stylized P for Peters (which mine does not have) or some combination of RP (Remington Peters) and UMC. Mine just says Peters 45 Colt. Thanks for any help.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_md.gif
1st - I noticed this was your very first post - so, Welcome Aboard abqfox! You didn't list your state (or country) in your profile. So, you might consider jumping over to Sub-Forum: Select Your Area.... for information (i.e., clubs, hunts, finds, legends, maps, etc.) directly related to your state (or country).
photo_camera.gif
2nd - A picture(s) is worth a zillion words! If you are having problems posting pictures - take a look at: How to post pictures with your story...

tn_link.gif
3rd - I searched Google and found HEMBRILLO - An Apache Battlefield of the Victorio War.

1.jpg

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
There are headstamps that can help with dating. For instance, Remington and UMC joined up in 1912, so headstamps with simply UMC on them will probably pre-date 1912. Cartridges with no headstamp are probably before the mid 1800's. Peters made a lot of ammo, so it's tough to pin down the age of your cartridge. Remington joined with Peters in mid 1930's, so the headstamps became R-P after that.
Jim

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread