Trying to date these plow chisels

Exhuminator

Jan 13, 2021
Georgia, USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Vanquish 540, Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been hunting an old farmstead. It was a plantation in the 1800s, then a modern farm in the 1900s. I have found some plow chisel teeth, and I'm hoping someone here can help identify how old they are:

IMG-20210208-172509753.jpg
IMG-20210120-130741796.jpg

Any help is appreciated.

Fat

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2020
Nebraska panhandle/NE Colorado
Detector(s) used
I took the battery out because I like my bacon crispy
Primary Interest:
Other
They look like the shovels from a spring tooth harrow. I think modern. The ones I use today have a tool end on each end. Use up one end and than unbolt flip 180 and than tighten back up. They protect the spring steel shank ends from wearing away. The top right in the pic. has a little point left, all but warn out, the others are worn out.

OP
OP
Exhuminator

Exhuminator

Jan 13, 2021
Georgia, USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They look like the shovels from a spring tooth harrow.

Thanks for that information. After researching this terminology, I think these are detachable spring tooth harrow points. I still wish I could get a better date on them, insofar was what 1900s decade they are from. But at least now I have a good idea what they are. I appreciate your help.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I really think Fat answered your query.
Though in your post you stated old farmstead, so what else have you managed to find. Reason being it might help date the site better. I've dug combine brushes off a recent 1850's farm-it basically getting rid of the iron on the field to see what lays beneath.
Looking forward seeing any other finds.

OP
OP
Exhuminator

Exhuminator

Jan 13, 2021
Georgia, USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Fat

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2020
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
You might be able to get a date from that cast Iron skillet. With a little electrolysis, you might be able to clean up and put into morning bacon frying rotation.

OP
OP
Exhuminator

Exhuminator

Jan 13, 2021
Georgia, USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You might be able to get a date from that cast Iron skillet. With a little electrolysis, you might be able to clean up and put into morning bacon frying rotation.

I was hoping the skillet was salvageable when I found it. Unfortunately it's got a massive crack through its middle (can't really see in the photo). I scoured the skillet for a date or any other text, no dice. One of those diagonal plow teeth with serrated edges has a manufacturer's logo on it though, so I can start searching from there on a date. Just didn't know if the tooth harrow points were from the same time period.

I'm finding all this stuff on my land, btw. I bought 16 acres or rural land back in 2016, then got a wild hair and decided it'd be interesting to start detecting my place. I reckon I've scanned about 1% of it so far. Thing is most the land is now forested, so the ground in all the woods is hard to dig in (roots galore). Also the dirt in general is highly mineralized red clay, so ground balancing is trickier too. Who knows though, there might be an old cache out here, or a 1800s coin spill somewhere.

Last edited:

Fat

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2020
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I really hope you find it!! Any spill before the middle 1960s wouldn’t be bad, either.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread