Newbie needs detector advice

RedSpey

May 16, 2005
Eugene, OR
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
My wife and I want to start relic hunting in North Central Washington state. It's mostly rocky soil. We have a budget of $400 to spend on a detector and whatever else we may need. Any suggestions on what we should look for in a detector? Any recommendations on a detector?

Thanks for your help. We hope to have a lot of fun together searching the old homestead and mining sites around here.

RedSpey

bakergeol

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2004
Colorado
Detector(s) used
GS5 X-5 GMT
For a Mid-range relic detector I recommend? Tesoro's latest offering the Vaquero at $420. It has the depth to rival that of a high end machine. This new machine is very popular with Civil War relic hunters. I would have recommended the Tesoro Cibola at $340 but you are from Washington which I believe has a lot of mineralized ground(need manual ground balance). Check out the user reviews on the Tesoro forums. The Vaquero also has the high frequency necessary for gold nugget hunting(I know of only 5 machines which have this coin/relic/nugget hunting ability and the Vaquero is one of them)
By the way a lot of good used detectors on the forums.

George

Orygun

Feb 21, 2005
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Technetics T2 Classic
I have a Tesoro Eldorado and live in south eastern oregon and it is an awesome relic machine! you can get a new one in the sub $400 range with enough left over to buy a few extras!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread