relic question

pepperpump

Feb 27, 2005
Manassas Park, VA
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
I found this over the weekend in Stafford VA...I have been told it is a bridal bit for a horse, Anyways, I found it about 6 inches deep in very thick woods. There were no trails anywhere around and it was in a ravine which also had a stream in it. What are the chances it is from the civil war if any one knows??? There were several camps from the war very near by from what I have been told. Thanks again ahead of time and good luck hunting!!!
Pepperpump ??? ??? ??? 8) ;D

Attachments

• bridal.jpg
    bridal.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 239
  • bridal.jpg
    bridal.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 202

Daniel in Ak

Feb 23, 2005
Alaska
dude that is a watering bridal bit,and pretty dang nice to boot.Personally knowing about stafford I'd say it is period.You would not leave a bit in a horses mouth all day out in a pasture,and with so many camps around in that area and the fact you was off in the woods is a good indication it's period.Go back and hit that site real slow dude,and if you get any little chirps that sound funny dig it anyways ,as alot of really deep targets will give off a funny signal.Also if your going to restore the bit(which I would,because they are not that easy to come by in there entirity like yours)anyhow back to restoring,I use to hit my iron with a tourch from the shop,you know heat it up nice and get all the moisture out.I also when I had no access to torches was to put my iron on a cookie sheet in the oven and leave it in there over nite so the heat would draw the moister out also.Nice going on the relic.

Fredneck

May 7, 2005
Detector(s) used
GPX 5000, ORX, White's XLT, AT Gold for Fresh Water
Hmmm, wonder where you was diggin ;D Looks like a period watering bit to me. I might add in great shape too. Your off on the right foot Pepperpump....WTG

Dave

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread