NC Plantation Finds

Mudonmyshoes

Jul 16, 2008
New to relic hunting and to the site. I am looking for help in identifying and the time period for the items in the attached photos. The site my son and I hunted yesterday dates back to the mid 1700's. There is a small cemetery with the lastest headstone reading 1842 (this person was 82 yrs. old when he passed away). There is about a hundred yards of Periwinkle around this area indicating that this cemetery is old.

In the attached pictures, you will see an ax head, shovel???, nails, handle (candle holder????), pieces of ceramic and glass, and an unknown (there are two picture of the unknown item). I believe the unknown piece is newer but I am not sure. It has the word INDIA engraved on the top. Please let me know what you think, and if you believe that this site is worth future hunts. Thanks.......Big C

Attachments

• Group1.jpg
    Group1.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 807
  • Shovel.jpg
    Shovel.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 817
  • Unkown1.jpg
    Unkown1.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 803
  • unkown2.jpg
    unkown2.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 799
  • ceramics.jpg
    ceramics.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 793

brnn53

Mar 31, 2006
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug, Tejon, T2 LTD, F75, & Nautilus DMC II B
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Your unknown is a hitch pin used on implements that a tractor would pull so it is not old but if that site is as old as you say then heck yes, keep hitting it! You may have to wade through the iron but I bet there are some nice relics to be found there. HH!
Mike

OP
OP
M

Mudonmyshoes

Jul 16, 2008
Mike,

Thanks for the help! I showed the owner of the property the hitch pin and he said it was one that he lost a couple of years ago. What about the other objects? Are they newer or are they older? Any help will greatly be appreciated. If there newer I will start hunting in a different area, but if there's some age to these objects I will go over the area more carefully. Thanks again....Big C

liquid1

Apr 29, 2008
lake norman NC..
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Ace 250, Titan 2000 Xd
I would say most of your Items are farming impliments, plow parts, late 1800,early 1900...from my experance..

OP
OP
M

Mudonmyshoes

Jul 16, 2008
Thanks for the input! I will be heading back to the spot to hopefully find something a little older.

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Your "shovel" is a cultivator blade off some type of farm equipment.

Do more research and try to find the location of the house and out buildings. Then search the paths between them. We've used this techinque on a plantation property in Surry county VA and had good results.

Also search near the cemetery. People attending funerals would have tied up horses and buggies near the entrance.

Good luck.

DCMatt

OP
OP
M

Mudonmyshoes

Jul 16, 2008
Thanks DCMatt..

There are still several out buildings (collapsed) on the site. I was told the plow blade is older because of the layered metal (folded over and pounded into shape). Is this true? Also, in the fall I do plan on searching the area around the cemetery. There is an old buggy trail. All is completely covered with vegetation (poison ivy and Periwinkle). I will take photos next time I am out. Thanks again for your help......Big C

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread