Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree10Likes
  • 5 Post By Citiboy289
  • 1 Post By Shortstack
  • 1 Post By sprailroad
  • 1 Post By DeepseekerADS
  • 2 Post By digger460

Thread: Rust Removal & Molasses

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Aug 2012
    North Georgia
    Various depends on the need at the moment
    336 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Rust Removal & Molasses

Now that there is an actual restoration thread I just wanted to pass this on, I have posted it in response on other threads on TNET but thought this was an Excellent place to post it for other folks restorations;
    I found this on YOUTUBE and really thought it was a joke until I used it myself on a heavily rusted item I found
    The method limits any metal loss
    The mixture is
    1 part molasses to 9 parts hot water
    Stir well making sure the molasses is well dispursed
    pour the mixture into a Tupperware container and seal
    LET IT SET 2 weeks
    Open the container and you will see that all the rust has risen to the top and formed a sludge
    Rinse with cold water and put the item in a 200 degree oven for 5 minutes to finish the drying process

OK so your done laughing !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Well consider this ----- the molasses will begin to ferment, in order to ferment the process requires oxygen , since the container is sealed the fermentation uses the oxygen in the rust oxide

the process limits the metal loss less than an acid based process
    the mixture is not harmful and you can even pore it into lawn when finished

the only con is when you open the container you neighbors will think your running a still LOL
    Give it a try
    Last edited by Citiboy289; Nov 01, 2013 at 09:06 PM.

us
    Jul 2012
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    CURRENT: Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Garrett AT Pro & Garrett Pinpointer Pro FORMER: Garrett GTAx 1000, Ace 250 HAVE USED: Teknetics & Bounty Hunters WANT TO TRY: Tesoro and White's someday
    503 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Late response here, but I wonder if this would work on heavily crudded coins. I'm going to give this a whorl. If that works, it would be great. Some clad just wont clean up for nothing...soaking in vinegar and peroxide will not remove deeply etched staining. I have use oxalic acid(basically toilet bowl cleaner) to no avail. I have never used CLR though, but some metals might not be safe to use with that. Aside from brutalizing the coins with wire brushes or other abrasives, I have really no good success to cleaning piles of clad with small efforts. I have tried electrolysis, but this method is touchy when trying to do a bunch of coins at once. I don't want to spend a lot of energy cleaning them, that is more than what I spent unearthing them in the first place. I'll try this molasses method though.

us
    Jul 2012
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    CURRENT: Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Garrett AT Pro & Garrett Pinpointer Pro FORMER: Garrett GTAx 1000, Ace 250 HAVE USED: Teknetics & Bounty Hunters WANT TO TRY: Tesoro and White's someday
    503 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Maybe, for my situation(multiple deeply dirt etched clad) soaking them in Coke might work? As a mild alternative to naval jelly(highly phosphoric).

us
    Aug 2012
    North Georgia
    Various depends on the need at the moment
    336 times
    Not to sure about coins ------ But I would not think you would need the 2 weeks mentioned ---------------- I usually do larger objects and since I did the original post have cut my " Cooking Time " to 5 days and then give it a Look See - It was really potent on my last item The main body worked fine but several smaller rusted items got eaten through So keep an eye on what your doing The worst is that if you open it early , and reseal its will just consume the new air and keep going --------------- Its really interesting to open it and see the rust at the top in the shape of the object

us
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits."~Albert Einstein

Jan 2007
    Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
    364 times
    Just a quick point of clarity. The molasses being used in the YouTube is AGRICULTURAL molasses.....not the stuff you get off of the shelf in a grocery store. The guys using it in those videos are soaking large body parts for old cars and any painted areas are untouched. The molasses technique removes just the RUST and no good metal.

Now, for smaller projects, such as things we dig while detecting, it's good to know that my "eatin" molasses will work and I don't need to buy a gallon (or 5 gallons) of ag molasses for a really small project.
    lastleg likes this.
    "Dobie created the HUNGER............Von Mueller said, EAT". comment by HELM Associates on the dedication page of their book, Treaasure Lead Generation.

us
    sprailroad

Jan 2017
    Grants Pass, Oregon
    Minelabs/Garretts
    1174 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarl View Post
    Late response here, but I wonder if this would work on heavily crudded coins. I'm going to give this a whorl. If that works, it would be great. Some clad just wont clean up for nothing...soaking in vinegar and peroxide will not remove deeply etched staining. I have use oxalic acid(basically toilet bowl cleaner) to no avail. I have never used CLR though, but some metals might not be safe to use with that. Aside from brutalizing the coins with wire brushes or other abrasives, I have really no good success to cleaning piles of clad with small efforts. I have tried electrolysis, but this method is touchy when trying to do a bunch of coins at once. I don't want to spend a lot of energy cleaning them, that is more than what I spent unearthing them in the first place. I'll try this molasses method though.
    For CLAD coins, dimes, quarters, something I learned on Treasure Net. In a rock tumbler, say you have 50 to 100 dimes, with the CLAD in the tumbler, pour in lemon juice just enough to cover the coins, add your gravel, add one or two teaspoons of salt, tumble for about an hour, discoloration of the nickel is gone, add they look pretty good. Again, CLAD coins. Same for nickel's, but tumble them by themselves. I've done dimes & quarters together, they being the same alloy.
    Last edited by sprailroad; Dec 02, 2017 at 07:03 AM.
    DeepseekerADS likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2013
    SW, VA - Bull Mountain
    CTX, Excal II, Fisher 1260X, 1265X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
    12737 times
    Digging in the dirt & scooping in the water!
    Quote Originally Posted by sprailroad View Post
    Again, CLAD coins. Same for nickel's, but tumble them by themselves. I've done dimes & quarters together, they being the same alloy.
    Great tip! I'd tried this before, but included the nickels with the clad and they basically came out orange colored.
    sprailroad likes this.
    Republic of Vietnam 10/69 - 3/71, Cambodia April 27, 1970 on a mountain top with HUGE scorpions

"'He jests at scars who never felt a wound'" c.s.lewis - 1940

The Ten Commandments: http://www.godstenlaws.com/ten-comma.../#.UdAz65yynZg

The Bill of Rights: http://billofrightsinstitute.org/fou...ill-of-rights/

The Constitution: http://www.archives.gov/exhibits/cha...ranscript.html

Charter Member
    us
    Sep 2015
    Illinois
    Garrett AT PRO, Garrett Carrot Nokta Waterproof Pinpointer Vibra-tector 730
    2070 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarl View Post
    Don't use CLR on copper coins, especially IHC'S. Don't ask me how I know
    Jason in Enid and sprailroad like this.
    "See your doctor if your detector has a detection for more then four hours!"

us
    sprailroad

Jan 2017
    Grants Pass, Oregon
    Minelabs/Garretts
    1174 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DeepseekerADS View Post
    Great tip! I'd tried this before, but included the nickels with the clad and they basically came out orange colored.
    Very true Deep, I do not know why that is really, but the nickels I always tumble separate, by themselves, come out looking good.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links