Significant electrolysis progress on early 1600s sword basket hilt in first 24 hours

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Although I have a great deal of experience in using this method of cleaning, I may be in over my head on this one. Usually an object of this size will take several days to 2-3 weeks to clean, but when I pulled it out this morning after less than 24 hours in the tank it was much further along than expected. When I initially turned on the battery charger yesterday it was pulling less than 1 amp which was safe and slow. But this morning for some reason it was close to maxed out at 6 amps, and all but the most stubborn of the corrosion had been removed. And possibly a very small amount of the base material was being lost already. So it looks like I'm going to need some professional help on this as what was originally believed to be a heavy, solid chunk of iron is much more fragile that I thought. Maybe its metallic composition is different too. Anyway, I'm just going to leave it soaking for now until I can figure out how to proceed. In the meantime, here are a few pics I took this morning which look vastly different from those in my original post just 24 hours ago. The first 2 pics are from yesterday so you can see the changes. If anyone here has professional experience with iron preservation of this type I'd love to hear your suggestions on how to handle this artifact. I have my own sources too so hopefully someone can come up with a workable solution, and that may include handing the artifact over to someone who is capable of doing the job right. This is one I definitely don't want to screw up. Thanks.

Attachments

• 030815h.jpg
    030815h.jpg
    290.3 KB · Views: 351
  • 030815i.jpg
    030815i.jpg
    249.5 KB · Views: 344
  • hilt1.jpg
    hilt1.jpg
    167 KB · Views: 291
  • hilt2.jpg
    hilt2.jpg
    192.4 KB · Views: 360
  • hilt3.jpg
    hilt3.jpg
    164.4 KB · Views: 353
  • hilt7.jpg
    hilt7.jpg
    204.1 KB · Views: 354
  • hilt6.jpg
    hilt6.jpg
    191.1 KB · Views: 342
  • hilt5.jpg
    hilt5.jpg
    206 KB · Views: 370
  • hilt4.jpg
    hilt4.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 269

PeteWmass

Nov 26, 2012
South Hadley
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
have you ever tried oxalic acid - not as strong as citric (which eats into the base metal) - works pretty good - especially things that are rusty - but not terribly corroded (I actually use it to clean old tinscans I find while digging in dumps- it eats the rust but leaves the paint that is left - also works for license plates - toys - etc) - might be worth a shot.....

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looking good Bill. Hopefully your other sources will lead you in the right direction. The composition and state will determine the appropriate action. That's a keeper so you don't want to experiment.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using TreasureNet

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Looking good Bill. Hopefully your other sources will lead you in the right direction. The composition and state will determine the appropriate action. That's a keeper so you don't want to experiment.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using TreasureNet

Thanks Joey. I'm working on making contact with some experts, but I have to be careful who I talk to. You know what I mean.

OP
OP
Bill D. (VA)

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
have you ever tried oxalic acid - not as strong as citric (which eats into the base metal) - works pretty good - especially things that are rusty - but not terribly corroded (I actually use it to clean old tinscans I find while digging in dumps- it eats the rust but leaves the paint that is left - also works for license plates - toys - etc) - might be worth a shot.....

Thanks Pete. That might be interesting to try sometime, but I don't want to experiment on this rare artifact. I appreciate the input.

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
ive never used this product, but if it does what it says,it maybe what your
looking for, they have a dry coat to not sure it would apply to your hilt
i know your concerned about the rest of the good metal being messed up
in the vid there is a flimsy rusty part,(see my jpgs) the rust remover left
the flimsy metal intact but took the rust, some links and a b4 after side
by side of your hilt

flimsy backside of truck bed sidewall