Washington Gold Dollars - Bates treasure

tommyl

Greenie
Nov 18, 2005
No I have not found it yet. One thing I believe after all of the countless hours of research and on-site hunting is that the gold "must" be hidden in a cave, or shelter. The main roads and all during the period in East Granby do not lend themselves to the Salmon Brook river. I feel the coins found along the river were ones that dropped from the pockets of the men who stole the casks of coins, hid them, left the wagon and then walked back to their homes in the river so as to avoid any footprints and wagon tracks. My best guess is somewhere south of North Main st area, slightly west.

Upvote 0

Big Bad John

Jul 3, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am wondering if Tommy interview any members of the Bates family. Since the good captain until around 1970, there was always a Bates family member living at the Tavern. I interview William Bates, a story teller, who lie to me, stating the story was true. Then, I interview his son in law, who told me that nobody in the family heard about the story until a woman wrote a letter of lies stating the story was true in a Hartford newspaer in 1951.. Since 1951 the story was repeated many times a year in treasure magazines. Until a writer from the mid west, mention that five people find single coins, which is a lie, there was no mention of the coins. Back then, a penny would buy a lot, and there was very little paper money and coins. No country had not much money, in gold, silver, or copper. There were never any names of the people who suppose to find these coins. I had heard about this story, since 1965, and since 1951, there must had been over a thousand treasure hunter, including pros waste their time and money and effort looking for this treasure. If the story is true, I believe the treasure would had been found and the story would had been publish. This story was never mention in the town history books, because the story is untrue. God bless Tommy and I hope him and others the best of luck. The tavern had since purchase by a singer, last name, Oates and move to another location.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Funny I just saw this post - I have had countless dreams about this treasure of late
- went looking for it once long ago - was not properly equipped back then - I can tell you I got a huge hit under the roots of about a 500+ yr old tree
but did not have the tools to try for it - I forgot about it
but have had dreams about it a lot this year
I have a friend that got permission yrs ago to hunt with a small group around that tavern - they didn't find squat

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread