curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello, don't know anything about it other than it's from my husband's side of the family. Think perhaps it's from Europe? Any help would be very nice, thank you! DSCN1949.JPG DSCN1955.JPG DSCN1951.JPG

Upvote 0
OP
OP
curious kat

curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi James, thank you for your input, let me know if you find anything else. Don't know if you could see or not, but there's something etched near the handle, does that help in ID?

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
It may be a spanish officers 1860s artillery sword but the blade looks wrong.I'm still leaning towards a cutlass.

artilleria1.jpg

OP
OP
curious kat

curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, looks like it but maybe longer/thinner and no black knob on end. So nice of you to help, thank you so much James!!!

OP
OP
curious kat

curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How do you tell if it is a repo? It's heavy, at least for me lol Did you see the letters that are stamped on the blade near the handle? It's a N over VC and a B under that and is enclosed almost by a diamond.....and to the right is a CA maybe that helps? Thanks again James :)

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
curious kat:

You can ask for help by posting a few photos at:

Antique Swords

I suggest you include a picture of the blade markings next to the hilt - these can be very important.

Good luck to all,

~The Old Bookaroo

OP
OP
curious kat

curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you Buckaroo for the link !

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is what they call a Briquet Sabre often used in infantry. It was designed during the Napoleonic wars and the design was copied by many countries and years. There should be some letters or numbers on the ricasso that will tell you country of origin. My guess is French,hopefully. This video will give you an idea of where to start research on origins. Also google Briquet Sabre for images.Glad you have the scabbard .

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
OP
OP
curious kat

curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Tnmountains and Thank you so very much!!! I'm finding that there are some really great guys on this site....& you're one of them! I will be posting another sword soon incase you guys want to see that one also. But, no pressure...I don't "expect" you to ID, that's just an extra bonus in case anyone knows about it. So thank you again!

OP
OP
curious kat

curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Red James.....I would like to Thank You as well :) .......you started the research on it and I'm very grateful for all you did....you guys are Super! Like I said to TN, I'll be posting another sword soon if you'd like a look....:cat:

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are welcome. I like Sabres and Fence olympic style in saber several times a week at the club. Post it up and we all will be happy to help with the I.d. You have types and most importantly manufactures.
Glad we all could help.
HH
TnMtns

OP
OP
curious kat

curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You fence? ....tou-che!....sorry, can't spell it....that's really cool :thumbsup: I may be posting the other sword tomorrow. But..always a big but lol.....don't know where I should post it? Because it looks maybe Mongolian? Where do you think maybe?

OP
OP
curious kat

curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks again James! Maybe post other tomorrow, but where? I take it you can see what I said to TN above? Later, :cat: (so nice there's a cat thing to use here!)

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could be mongolian. They are usually heavily curved. I may have one also. Yes I fence . I am bruised and battered this week but it keeps me quick as I get older. My first coach was 90 haha .
Let me know if you post any more there seems to be some interest and they are fun to research.

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
Speaking of fencing.I almost bought a cased pair of 18th century dueling rapiers off one of my painting customers.the price wasnt to bad 450 bucks.Nicely engraved blades.They were made for person that lived in Boston at the time.

OP
OP
curious kat

curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK, going to post other swords....maybe not Mongolian after all, since they're not really curved, sorry. Not really sure about these, I was going by the engravings on them....maybe they're not even "real"? So guys, please check'em out and see what you think.....oh, thanks (not)...no one said where I should post them? LOL Since I don't know where (if) they're from? Ok, change of plans, I do have a gun to post & can do it on this site I suppose, so will do that for now and maybe one of you two can steer me as to where to post the "maybe" middle eastern swords?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread