Whose #1 spot(s) to hunt are creeks and river beds?

MEinWV

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2007
West "by god" Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fishers CZ5 and 1280X
The rivers should be good source for waterworn specimens of local gems. I did most of my rockhounding at existing mines, but it was a plus to have a source of water nearby, as it really makes the colors pop.

Good luck! HH

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

Cappy Z.

MEinWV said:
The rivers should be good source for waterworn specimens of local gems. I did most of my rockhounding at existing mines, but it was a plus to have a source of water nearby, as it really makes the colors pop.

Good luck! HH

WOW! rockhounding at existing mines? The are a thousand stories right there! What mines? How did you get access? What were you looking for? What did you do with your finds? etc.

Thanks for making Gems and Rocks an important part of TN.

HH

Upvote 0

strickman

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2008
Villa Rica georgia
Detector(s) used
gold bug pro,garret,whites,tesoro,bounty-hunter,,.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dredge rubies,garnet,saphires etc.regularly.while getting gold.sometimes occasional diamonds pop up.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

Cappy Z.

strickman said:
dredge rubies,garnet,saphires etc.regularly.while getting gold.sometimes occasional diamonds pop up.
Listen my friend,

There are not only great stories here...but financial oportunity...keep the dialogue going. I will respond if I have anything to offer. Thanks for posting.

HH

Upvote 0

MEinWV

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2007
West "by god" Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fishers CZ5 and 1280X
Yes, strickman's on the right track there. Folks who dredge often find a variety of gemstones as they work for gold. Heavier materials like garnets, rubies, pyrite, and etc. Be on the lookout for crystals of tourmaline, topaz, and the beryl and quartz groups also.

HH

Upvote 0

MEinWV

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2007
West "by god" Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fishers CZ5 and 1280X
WOW! rockhounding at existing mines? The are a thousand stories right there! What mines? How did you get access? What were you looking for? What did you do with your finds? etc.

Thanks for making Gems and Rocks an important part of TN.

HH
[/quote] A number of States have books listing mines that may or may not be open to collecting. Some are fee based, others are free. They list the name and location of the mine, as well as a list of gems and minerals that may be found. They also may list any precautions that may exist at any given mines. The treasure magazines and notable detector suppliers carry books for sale like I have mentioned. Hopefully, your state is one of those that have minerals, gemstones, and mines that you can visit.

Good luck! HH

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread