Arizona outcrop ID help please

ShadowsAz

Oct 24, 2009
While cutting across an area in Arizona, (on my way to prospect for gold) I found this
outcrop. I have never come across anything like it, and wondered if anyone could help with
an ID or even with where I might research something like it. I have enclosed three photos
of the "sort of egg or round shapes" as well as three photos of the "vein". These are both
in the same outcrop. Thanks for looking!

Attachments

• outcrop.jpg
    outcrop.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 639
  • nodules.jpg
    nodules.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 654
  • nodule in rock.jpg
    nodule in rock.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 643
  • outcrop seam.jpg
    outcrop seam.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 657
  • closeup of vein.jpg
    closeup of vein.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 641
  • all around outcrop.jpg
    all around outcrop.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 647
OP
OP
ShadowsAz

ShadowsAz

Oct 24, 2009
" Unique geology " fantastic views, interesting people, and Gold, silver, copper, gemstones!
I could do commercials for the Travel Channel .... LOL .... I did however have someone suggest
that the outcrop looked like "nodules in rhyolite" (SP ?) and that I might look into some research
on Opal. So that is my new field of study, as I begin, all I know is Opal is my wife's birthstone...
I obviously have a long way to go.......

Upvote 0

Weddle546

Oct 27, 2009
White Mountains, AZ
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Ancient coinmaster
Im new to the site and i am an Arizona rock hound, The vein could possibly be tigers eye? hard to tell from the picture, but if not is probably an agate. the nodules happen quite often, they are deposits that boiled up thru ancient mud i believe. They are probably quartz and look pretty cool if you cut and polish them. Keep a lookout for those blues! (im a gem silica nut). Really cool out cropping you found there. looks like the area may be rich in minerals.

Upvote 0

Weddle546

Oct 27, 2009
White Mountains, AZ
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Ancient coinmaster
OH YEAH! so you have the blue fever too? lol. i grew up with my uncle always hunting it. Always some story somewhere leading us to an old mine. He usually has atleast 10 pounds of the best grade laying around.

Upvote 0

mrs.oroblanco

Silver Member
Jan 2, 2008
Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo & Garrett Stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cannot really tell from your pictures (sorry), but, maybe thunder eggs.

Do any look like these?

arizona thunder egg 1.jpg

Attachments

• arizona thunder egg 2.jpg
    arizona thunder egg 2.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 469
Upvote 0

DanB

Oct 23, 2007
Looks like some basalt and chalcedony.....(Chalcedony has a waxy luster, and may be semi-transparent or translucent. It can assume a wide range of colors, but those most commonly seen are white to gray, grayish-blue or a shade of brown ranging from pale to nearly black.) Hope this helps......Agate is associated with these rocks.

hope this helps

db

Upvote 0

Arid-Zone-A-seeker

Jan 26, 2010
High Country Arizona
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter, Tesoro LOBO Supertrac, Garrett Infinium,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is Gas pocket agate, very common, usually found after they have eroded from the lava.Crack some or cut some open they should have lines like a topo map, called fortification. They will probably fluoresce light green, lime green.

Upvote 0

extractor

Silver Member
Sep 27, 2007
Sal Sagev Adaven
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC,,,, SOVEREIGN GT,,,, GP 3500,,,,
GB PRO.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Weddle546 said:
Im new to the site and i am an Arizona rock hound, The vein could possibly be tigers eye? hard to tell from the picture, but if not is probably an agate. the nodules happen quite often, they are deposits that boiled up thru ancient mud i believe. They are probably quartz and look pretty cool if you cut and polish them. Keep a lookout for those blues! (im a gem silica nut). Really cool out cropping you found there. looks like the area may be rich in minerals.
Agree :coffee2:

Upvote 0

DanB

Oct 23, 2007
most of the nodules I cut open when hit with a special black light makes them light up orange in the banding, or in the hollow center...

db

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Conglomerate maybe? A ancient river channel there?

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions