106_0075.JPG
    262.9 KB · Views: 490

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Don't have an opinion what they are. But neat finds!

So many different crystals have been found in the United States. Can you tell us which state and county or creek they were found in?

Sapphires are actually fairly common stones in part of the country. These look like they have too much pink and red to be sapphires, but I'm not a gemologist, either.

Upvote 0

marinedad

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2009
pisgah forest, n.c.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
minelab e-trac and equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
they could be, do they seem heavy for there size? you can do a scratch test. only stone harder than corrundum- sapphire and ruby is diamond.

Upvote 0

NaturalJWL

Jul 19, 2007
NC
Very possible, low grade, blue/gray is really common.

Not sure where Fire Creek is, Canton has the Old Pressley Sapphire Mine.

George and Brenda McCannon own it and most found there are the blue/gray.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
F

Furismo

Dec 17, 2010
I tried to scratch it with a piece of Quartz, it's hard to tell if there are any scratches on the possible Sapphire's due to the roughness of the stone. I was able to grind down the Quartz with the possible Sapphire's though.

Both stones weigh about 0.4oz.

Upvote 0

woodstock

Feb 7, 2008
The Great Northwoods
Detector(s) used
F 75 Ltd ~ And many others
Simply put , no . If you just Google search images for raw sapphires and your can look at sapphires from all over the world and your's isn't judging by shape and color ... And in order to properly ID via "Scratch Testing" you'd have to know and be 100% positive that what your item and the one being scratched has the proper ID as well . Your best bet is to consult a College or University if there are no local gemological experts near you . IMHO , Woodstock

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread