Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Member
Discoveries
 
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 54
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Lapidary pics

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
  1. #31
    se
    Sep 2006
    Sweden
    White's or Minelab
    3,966
    282 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Hahah yes I do! Its not hard as per say, just takes a lot of time.
    I can spend up to 3 days on one. Getting quicker as I'm gaining experience, started some 7 months ago.
    Geologists are gneiss, tuff, and a little wacke.

  2. #32
    ca
    I love ROCKS because they ROCK!

    Jan 2012
    Toronto,Ontario
    529
    3 times
    Rocks And Minerals
    Quote Originally Posted by Eu_citzen View Post
    Hahah yes I do! Its not hard as per say, just takes a lot of time.
    I can spend up to 3 days on one. Getting quicker as I'm gaining experience, started some 7 months ago.
    What are the materials you need,thinking about starting.
    Looking For Rocks Is Just Like Golf, Always Keep Your Head Down!

  3. #33
    se
    Sep 2006
    Sweden
    White's or Minelab
    3,966
    282 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Let me get back to you later about that, but you should be warned its pretty expensive at first.
    Geologists are gneiss, tuff, and a little wacke.

  4. #34
    ca
    I love ROCKS because they ROCK!

    Jan 2012
    Toronto,Ontario
    529
    3 times
    Rocks And Minerals
    Quote Originally Posted by Eu_citzen View Post
    Let me get back to you later about that, but you should be warned its pretty expensive at first.
    Wow I love the Opal! So nice.
    Looking For Rocks Is Just Like Golf, Always Keep Your Head Down!

  5. #35
    se
    Sep 2006
    Sweden
    White's or Minelab
    3,966
    282 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRockCollector View Post
    What are the materials you need,thinking about starting.
    So, what do you need to start?

    • Faceting machine
    • Dop sticks with Jig/transfer station (dopsticks to attach the rough onto)
    • Laps (to do grinding, pre-forming, pre-polishing and polishing etc)
    • Loupe 10x triplet (corrected and achromatic is highly recommended, aka high end)
    • Some kind of dopping cement (i.e. dopwax or cyanoacrylate)
    • Acetone to remove stone from dopstick
    • Good lamp, if it does not come with the machine.
    • Some rough to start practising (I suggest garnets or quartz)
    • Polishing compound

    I also recommend having a nice thin bladed rock saw to saw off sections of the rough if they are i.e. included.

    Maybe a "how to" thread might be appropriate?
    I just got some good chunks of aquamarine that needs sawing so I could show the whole process if I remember.
    Geologists are gneiss, tuff, and a little wacke.

  6. #36
    ca
    I love ROCKS because they ROCK!

    Jan 2012
    Toronto,Ontario
    529
    3 times
    Rocks And Minerals
    Quote Originally Posted by Eu_citzen View Post
    So, what do you need to start?

    • Faceting machine
    • Dop sticks with Jig/transfer station (dopsticks to attach the rough onto)
    • Laps (to do grinding, pre-forming, pre-polishing and polishing etc)
    • Loupe 10x triplet (corrected and achromatic is highly recommended, aka high end)
    • Some kind of dopping cement (i.e. dopwax or cyanoacrylate)
    • Acetone to remove stone from dopstick
    • Good lamp, if it does not come with the machine.
    • Some rough to start practising (I suggest garnets or quartz)
    • Polishing compound

    I also recommend having a nice thin bladed rock saw to saw off sections of the rough if they are i.e. included.

    Maybe a "how to" thread might be appropriate?
    I just got some good chunks of aquamarine that needs sawing so I could show the whole process if I remember.
    Thanks!
    Looking For Rocks Is Just Like Golf, Always Keep Your Head Down!

  7. #37
    se
    Sep 2006
    Sweden
    White's or Minelab
    3,966
    282 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    I'm slowly working on the "how to" pictures, started yesterday, a few more days and I'll have it together!
    Geologists are gneiss, tuff, and a little wacke.

  8. #38
    se
    Sep 2006
    Sweden
    White's or Minelab
    3,966
    282 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Since the tourmaline in the first page developed cracks I later re-cut it..
    Here it is in a new cut:



    Keep in mind it is magnified a lot and does look HEAPS better to the naked eye.

    Amethyst in a Portuguese cut/design. 161-ish facets.


    Another free-form opal from Ethiopia.


    Anybody have an apatite? I do!
    It has unpolished ("frosted") facets, the colour reminds me of cold nights above the polar circle.
    Geologists are gneiss, tuff, and a little wacke.

  9. #39
    se
    Sep 2006
    Sweden
    White's or Minelab
    3,966
    282 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Indicolite in a buff top, meaning the top part (crown) is cabbed.
    The bottom of the stone is faceted, was just a test, will for the next one have to do some modifications.

    Geologists are gneiss, tuff, and a little wacke.

  10. #40
    us
    Feb 2008
    Florida
    590
    157 times
    this is a small batch of opal I bought from a jeweler friend, I figured if I liked boulder opal I wouldlove this stuff. I bought the mid grade he had and the first 4 pieces I worked trying to cab all cracked. I guess either the heat from too much wheel contact got them or they rehydrated and broke. I had 1 last piece and I worked it very slowly for a few hours, very little water etc. After I cleaned the cortex and could really see into it I knew I wasnt cabbing this one anymore.
    I took it back to him and had him facet it for me and it turned I out I got the better deal on him. lol He didnt think this big chunk was any good , he thought a sand pit rand through it, it didt.
    I ended up with a 6.5 carat opal . I/we turned a #150 pile of rocks into a $5000 ring







  11. #41
    us
    Feb 2008
    Florida
    590
    157 times
    here are some cabs I have made. I havent workedanythingin at least a year. I wore down a wheel on the cabbing machine and have never replaced it and then work and life got in the way. The Boulder Opal I traded for from my friend Gene, he goes by Oubla on ebay and he lives near me and has his own mine in Australia. I love working that hematite messy stuff, it will ruin any shop with its mud like colors,lol
    I dig and hoard coral down here and have traded it over the years for other materials, so here are some pics of different materils I have and have cabbed


























  12. #42
    se
    Sep 2006
    Sweden
    White's or Minelab
    3,966
    282 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by centfladigger View Post
    this is a small batch of opal I bought from a jeweler friend, I figured if I liked boulder opal I wouldlove this stuff. I bought the mid grade he had and the first 4 pieces I worked trying to cab all cracked. I guess either the heat from too much wheel contact got them or they rehydrated and broke. I had 1 last piece and I worked it very slowly for a few hours, very little water etc. After I cleaned the cortex and could really see into it I knew I wasnt cabbing this one anymore.
    I took it back to him and had him facet it for me and it turned I out I got the better deal on him. lol He didnt think this big chunk was any good , he thought a sand pit rand through it, it didt.
    I ended up with a 6.5 carat opal . I/we turned a #150 pile of rocks into a $5000 ring






    Looks like Wollo opal to me, put them in water until they've absorbed it throughout the stone and let them dry again.
    This will usually get rid of any stress inside the rock. Open any cracks using a saw or whatever..

    I almost always season mine, let them sit and "rest" approx 6 months after the before mentioned process before working them.
    Exception is larger pieces which should go directly to the seasoning to minimize potential loss of weight!

    I remember getting a sizeable piece of rough, good bit over 50 cts, which broke due to not being seasoned.
    Largest piece I ended up with was 14 cts in the rough.
    Geologists are gneiss, tuff, and a little wacke.

  13. #43
    se
    Sep 2006
    Sweden
    White's or Minelab
    3,966
    282 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    VERY nice cabbs!!
    Geologists are gneiss, tuff, and a little wacke.

  14. #44
    se
    Sep 2006
    Sweden
    White's or Minelab
    3,966
    282 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Brecciated Rhyolite (or metavulcanite of some sort, uncertain)


    Serpentine-granite mixture (or, actually an altered granite)


    Giving carving a try, first piece is a welo opal. You can see it got a bit to hot during polishing - a crack started to show.
    Geologists are gneiss, tuff, and a little wacke.

  15. #45
    se
    Sep 2006
    Sweden
    White's or Minelab
    3,966
    282 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Was playing a bit with some welo opal the last couple of days, and this is what I came up with:



    Half cabbed, half faceted. sometimes called a bufftop.
    Geologists are gneiss, tuff, and a little wacke.

 

 
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsors

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

dopping ethiopian opal cyanoacrylate
,
lapidary
,
lapidary attachments for dremel
,
lapidary dremel
,

lapidary garage sale mn

,
lapidary images
,
lapidary pics
,

lapidary pictures

,
portuguese cut white sapphire
,
real blue opal
Click on a term to search for related topics.
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.1.3