Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, they probably aren't, but I'd get a loupe and check them out with that.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

cra61

Jul 9, 2012
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Teknetics G2+
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett "carrot" Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh, I realize the odds are long. With a loupe how would I determine anything? What do I look for?

Upvote 0

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Clarity primarily.

Google it up. I can't give you a class in gemology, but you can learn a lot online.

Everyone should have a loupe anyway, it really helps in checking small stuff out.

Upvote 0

StoneWhisper

Apr 16, 2010
Annapolis Junction, Maryland
Primary Interest:
Other
I thought the same thing.. Without a gemologest as a back up source.. or that the stoens are way to small for faceting.. You may have simple chards. Yet.. My wife and I were mining and found a muddy rock and thought nothing of it.. The stoen was approx the size of you big toe (nail) but looked very dark and muddy. The gemologest told us it was the darkest Sapphire he had ever seen.. So anything is possible.. Just look for the "oblong" type same and sturcture to the sapphire. and lets not forget that as with any stones, they can be nearly any color of the spectrum.. so what might look like a Sapphire.. coudl eb soemthing else.

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
As a rule of thumb I try not to cut anything smaller (rough wise) then 5 cts, or 1 gram. (although there are exceptions!)
Clarity is usually graded on a white paper in sunlight. If it is transparent, like glass, it is gem quality.
I have a picture somewhere if you want it for reference?

If it almost goes black on hitting the paper, colour saturation might be to great.
For checking out small pieces a loupe is highly recommended: 10x triplet, preferably corrected.

I'd try to get in touch with a faceter who cuts stones.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread