Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anybody tumble rocks here? Free rocks.

I was wondering if anyone did the rock tumbler? I was wondering if all the rocks have to be flat or round? Do they have to be the same size when you tumble them or can they be a little jagged? Will the tumbler make them all the same size when they are done? Will it make the cortex come off or does it just polish the cortex? I just am wondering how it works. And how big does the rock have to be? Thanks, rock

Last edited:

marinedad

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2009
pisgah forest, n.c.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
minelab e-trac and equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hi rock, my 3 tumblers run 24-7 i have 1-15 lb. and 2-3 lb. tumblers. i have 2 rock saws and cabbing machine. rocks don't have to be smoothe but it usually takes longer and uses more grit and time. each stage i run 1 week. if material is hard and jagged, say agate 1st stage may be weeks in 30 grit silicon carbide. then 80 grit a week, 220 grit a week, 400-600 grit a week, pre polish a week, polish a week, and usually 1 day in burnish. it's best to run similar hardness rock together or the softer rock may not polish. they will not be the same size when done. rock sizes are determined by the size of your tumbler. big rocks will break up the smaller ones or thinner ones. hope this helps.

Upvote 0

Bajahunter

Mar 26, 2011
rock
Can't say I know a whole lot.
I bought a vibrating rock polisher instead of a tumbler. It is called a Lot-O- Tumbler. I got two containers for it, one for the grinding and one reserved just for final polish. It works much faster than the rolling kind. The vibrator works on any size or shape rock at the same time, polishes angular pieces and doesn't turn the all stones into a jelly bean shape.
Make sure to buy a quality machine. I had a cheap rolling tumbler when I was a kid, it crapped out after the second batch.
I am amazed with the results. I have a piece if breciated jasper that is very nondiscript, most people wouldn't even pick it up. I polishes up to a lusterous deep red with white spots. It blows people away when I show them the before and after version.

Upvote 0

lkMI.9

Greenie
Aug 2, 2012
You want to tumble rocks that are similar in size when choosing a batch for best results. Harder rocks like agate take longer to smooth and round compared to softer more fragile rocks like a petoskey. They don't all end up the same size but are reduced in size and most maintain the same shape as when first put in the tumbler if they arnt jagged edged.

Upvote 0

goodie hunter

Jul 24, 2011
Beautiful Black Hills of South Dakota
Detector(s) used
Strictly Garrett
Hi Rock, Have been into the "rock scene" going on 40 years. Best bit of advice I can give is try and polish rocks that are approximately the same hardness. Too soft in with hard rocks may just cause them to disappear. Size is really no factor nor is jagged edges. They will all come out smooth to the touch. You have a lifetime of enjoyment ahead of you.

Upvote 0

StoneWhisper

Apr 16, 2010
Annapolis Junction, Maryland
Primary Interest:
Other
Rock.. Great questions, sorry for the delay.. and yes I tumble thou I havent in a while due to the fact that I've run out of grit and it's getting harder to dispose of the surry afterward.

I think the may thing is when tumbling stones for the first time.. Is that the stones should be nearly the same size or the larger stone may simple distroy the smaller stones with in the barrel. Have several barrels one hand thus saving your time and effort of always cleaning one or two barrels after the tumble which in turn can contamanate each tumble afterward.
I tend to do seevral "pre-tumbles)" to round corners. As for about how long this can/could take.. about 1 month plus if you really want a fine polish. Thou I have seen and heard of a number of forums that talk about actually use "nail polish" to bypass the poilishing stage. which sort of defeats the purpose. When I retun I I ahve many images to show you and others (step by step) when tumbling.. However, Maybe it might be best that you head over to "Rock Tumbling Hobby" Was once there and there are some good ppl.. just not to open mineded.

PS: Things are tight here and I'm hoping to acqure a computer very soon. Wife has said she doesnt like me walking to the library any more so her work is going to forward a used computer.

Upvote 0

marinedad

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2009
pisgah forest, n.c.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
minelab e-trac and equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
stonewhisper i suggested in a pm to check out rock tumbling hobby, i haven't seen him there yet. lot of good info there and good people. i have done numerous trades with other members.

Upvote 0

StoneWhisper

Apr 16, 2010
Annapolis Junction, Maryland
Primary Interest:
Other
Marin.. true that site is about the only site to date that has an ongoing discussion about rocks, tumbling and lapidary arts.. Thou I was there for about one year.. I grew tired with the constant bicering directed towards me and my ideas of tumbling etc.. You cna find many of my old post there if you really search hard. WizardOfTheStone

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread