Mica w/Garnets

TeAra

Oct 4, 2012
Butler, TN.
Primary Interest:
Other
vvYneFh.jpg

Finally got around to cutting a piece and making a rough pendant out of it.

Jhaddad8

Jan 3, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The white stuff looks like quartz to me. I saw mica on the left side of the second picture you put up. The other stuff does look like garnet, hard to tell from the picture. Mica is too soft to work with. Do you know roughly what state this is from? I have a piece of qz vein w/ mica from Rumney in New Hampshire that looks a lot like this. It also looks a bit like my parents granite counter tops.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
T

TeAra

Oct 4, 2012
Butler, TN.
Primary Interest:
Other
Not here where I am located. But I have learned just because it says we do not have it does not mean we might not have it. I look everywhere I can get into. Will keep an eye out.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
T

TeAra

Oct 4, 2012
Butler, TN.
Primary Interest:
Other
The white stuff looks like quartz to me. I saw mica on the left side of the second picture you put up. The other stuff does look like garnet, hard to tell from the picture. Mica is too soft to work with. Do you know roughly what state this is from? I have a piece of qz vein w/ mica from Rumney in New Hampshire that looks a lot like this. It also looks a bit like my parents granite counter tops.
I am assuming TN or VA he did not tell me much when he gave them to me.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
T

TeAra

Oct 4, 2012
Butler, TN.
Primary Interest:
Other
I have found some on my land but more mica than quartz and smaller so I am unable to work with them because they just fall apart but they add some shine to the rest of my collection.

Upvote 0

NJnuggetpirate

Bronze Member
Feb 14, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Garrett PRO POINTER
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i know theres tiger eye and cats eye cat eye is usually blackish grean color but it will very

Upvote 0
OP
OP
T

TeAra

Oct 4, 2012
Butler, TN.
Primary Interest:
Other
Ummm. I could try. I am going to a huge gem show the end of this month. I would hate to ruin a piece someone else sent me so I will look for some there as well just in case.

Upvote 0

urbantreasure

Jun 7, 2013
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes I do not think it remotely resembles any natural mica I have seen in NC or GA. Must have really altered it to get it to look like that. Perhaps it was a host rock of some sort with mica and garnet in/on it?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
T

TeAra

Oct 4, 2012
Butler, TN.
Primary Interest:
Other
I got it from someone who runs a rock shop. They said they went with a friend to a mine and picked some up but did nt tel me where. It was ve y xlean when I got it and all I did was cut it up but for finish I put a glaze on it to stabilize it.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread