Last edited:
OP
OP
W

wjackson

Nov 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys. The main reason we assumed it was blue jade was because he found it on the cliffs of the coast in Big Sur, and Big Sur is known for it's jade. Anybody else have any ideas about this lovely rock.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Get it to someone who can look at it in person. Either a geologist in the closest university, the next rock-club or what ever.
It looks pretty close to facet grade, so that's my best suggestion.

Upvote 0

Bajahunter

Mar 26, 2011
If it is jade it will be slightly softer than quartz. If it is a saphire it will be harder than quartz.
So find a piece of quartz and see if you can make a small scratch on your unknown rock somewhere.

Upvote 0

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
well, the link I thought I copied isn't the one on my post. will dig around & see if I can find the right one.

Upvote 0

JLeonhardy

Nov 25, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It would be EXTREMELY unusual to find a sapphire in Big Sur. You're actually more likely to find a raw diamond than a sapphire. That's probably Crocidolite -- an associate of Jade/Serpintine/Actinolite which is very common in that area. Both actinolite (green) and crocidolite (blue) are variations of asbestos.

Upvote 0

wa-yu

Aug 24, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe this is blue jade that my buddy found. He can also get a lot more. He said that this one is the size of a fist. It was found on a beach in northern California. Any thoughts on the type of rock this is? Thanks

Hope nobody minds that I've resurrected an old thread. I've been a lurker here for a long time, but after reading this post (and having had to pick my jaw off of the floor) I couldn't help myself but finally register so I could respond to this. wjackson, not sure if you ever finally got a positive ID on your beautiful specimen, but I can tell you right now I'm 90% sure you have Benitoite there. An amazingly beautiful piece of Benitoite! Nice score and if you still have it and wish to unload it, be sure to give me first dibs on it. :)

Upvote 0

Brian T. Booth

Feb 28, 2013
Glasgow KY
Detector(s) used
Minelab: Eureka Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hope nobody minds that I've resurrected an old thread. I've been a lurker here for a long time, but after reading this post (and having had to pick my jaw off of the floor) I couldn't help myself but finally register so I could respond to this. wjackson, not sure if you ever finally got a positive ID on your beautiful specimen, but I can tell you right now I'm 90% sure you have Benitoite there. An amazingly beautiful piece of Benitoite! Nice score and if you still have it and wish to unload it, be sure to give me first dibs on it. :)

Agreed. Benitoite. Excellent specimen.

Upvote 0

JLeonhardy

Nov 25, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It would be as extraordinary to find benitoite that far west as it would be for it to be a sapphire. Benitoite is pretty localized and note the crystal structure is tabular as opposed to triangular. I'll bet the crystal structure is fibrous under a 10X. I'm pretty sure that's crocidolite. Gem quality, though -- which a rarity.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread