Strange Stone Found Underneath old Tree

Jul 22, 2012
PNW
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was in a deep, dry, river bed digging underneath an old Bay tree where the water had washed away much of the earth beneath the tree. I came accross this specimen, Covered in shiny black rods going in every direction. between the rods were small splotches of gold and silver color that sparkled.

This was in the Hills of Northern California, USA

Any chance someone here can Identify the formation? Maybe tell us what sort of elements and chemicals might occur in such?

Any help is appreciated, Thank you! <333

tmp_Screenshot_2013-12-01-17-04-24-836657516

tmp_Screenshot_2013-12-01-17-02-01248854933

tmp_20131201_170941-1278349496

JLeonhardy

Nov 25, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pretty definitely actinolite. If you bust it open, you should have some unweathered fibers/crystals on the inside.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
applesmasher420
Jul 22, 2012
PNW
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pretty definitely actinolite. If you bust it open, you should have some unweathered fibers/crystals on the inside.

Yes! I did brake it in half with my Rock Pick. and there were shiny green, translucent crystals everywhere! I could even remove the individual rectangular crystal formations from eachother.

How safe is this? like, If I found more would it be safe to bust em in half outdoors and keep the cool pieces inside?

Thank you! <3

The site where I found this was full of interesting crystals and rock formations. So I will certainly be returning!

Upvote 0

JLeonhardy

Nov 25, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes! I did brake it in half with my Rock Pick. and there were shiny green, translucent crystals everywhere! I could even remove the individual rectangular crystal formations from eachother.

How safe is this? like, If I found more would it be safe to bust em in half outdoors and keep the cool pieces inside?

Thank you! <3

The site where I found this was full of interesting crystals and rock formations. So I will certainly be returning!

You'll be fine as long as you're not inhaling it -- might as well consider it green asbestos. Crystals are pretty soft, so there's not much you can do with them except display!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions