Newbie to rockhounding

GarretDiggingAz

Dec 5, 2012
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATG and thinking about another nugget hunter
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm in Arizona and been prospecting since March. Of course as a kid I've noticed some nice rocks and have always been fascinated with them. Just never thought of them beyond that. Well now since I've been disabled for past four years I've decided to do something more with my time and try to be creative. So since I've been hunting gold or other metals, I've rediscovered my interest in minerals. Man I wish I'd done and paid more attention to geology. Lol.
So I'm asking for help from others. My income is now on such a pathetic level so I can't spend a fortune on a ton of stuff. Wife would kill me. Literally. So what advice could I get from some of you on where to find certain types of minerals in AZ. Any other tools I might need aside from picks, shovels, classifiers? I'm thinking of making jewelry. But who knows. Just would like to supplement income somehow because I know I can't work a regular job due to my disability. But I'm refusing to have it keep me from living and providing for my family.
So I appreciate any advice on this and if I can help others, believe me I will.

Follows Camp Craig

Dec 1, 2013
Raleigh, North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Team Keene Outlaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Let me say that you live in an awesome state for being a rockhound.
Next month Quartzite AZ. kicks into gear and hosts some great vendors, everything from bulk to specimen quality from around the world.
Fossils too. It's a place you have to go at least once in your lifetime, you might even get some ideas or tips on jewelry.
As far as finding local sources of rock, I would first hit up REI or your local outfitter and look through their selection of books.

Check out your local community college for lapidary/ jewelry courses (usually held at night) or clubs that have equipment.
You don't have to break the bank to enjoy this hobby, the first pinch in your wallet might just be a $50 lab fee.

I hope this helps

Craig

Upvote 0
OP
OP
GarretDiggingAz

GarretDiggingAz

Dec 5, 2012
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATG and thinking about another nugget hunter
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thx Craig for the info.
I actually had stumbled across a book on lapidary at a antiques shop. Plus had some other books on gems and minerals. None for here. Mostly Nevada and Utah. Maybe this summer I could road trip it north. Got a lot of prospecting areas to hit. Just need permission from wife/kids to be gone playing. Instead of making extra cash. That's what I get for marrying a city girl. Lol. 13 years later and she still lets me be me. I can't complain.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread