chevyman75

Dec 22, 2013
clarion, pa
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter discovery 1100
discovery 3000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found a rock. It is black and shiny just looking at it and when an led light is put under it its a really dark purple with little specs in it and other then the edges is a lighter purple. I tried to post a photo but i cant figure it out on this kindle fire.. will try and post a picture later or tomorrow. Figured maybe this would be enough to maybe identify it

TeAra

Oct 4, 2012
Butler, TN.
Primary Interest:
Other
You may have to connect your kindle to your computer if you haven't already and just transfer the files you want. Otherwise I think you need an app to do it straight from kindle to the net. Now as for the stone...Do you know the hardness of it...Did you collect it local...Try a streak test on unglazed porcelain and see what color it leaves...These might help in finding out what it is till you get the pictures posted. The shiny specks are they a different color? I noticed in Clarion Co. that there is siderite maybe the mineral is covered with it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
chevyman75

chevyman75

Dec 22, 2013
clarion, pa
Detector(s) used
discovery 3000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
here is the photos

looks black but when led is put under it its a see through dark purple
rock.jpg rock2.jpg

Upvote 0

MrLee

Mar 25, 2012
Tokyo & OC
Detector(s) used
Google Earth, BS Detector, $$
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try garnet, obsidian or tourmaline. I am thinking garnet. How big is it? Where was it found?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
chevyman75

chevyman75

Dec 22, 2013
clarion, pa
Detector(s) used
discovery 3000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Its about 1-1/4 x 1 x 1/4 inches and was found in a field while metal detecting. Ill look at the names you wrote and see if any look the same. Thanks

Upvote 0
OP
OP
chevyman75

chevyman75

Dec 22, 2013
clarion, pa
Detector(s) used
discovery 3000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Im gonna say its obsidian or tourmaline from the photos i searched online. How can you tell the 2 apart?

Upvote 0

loco oro

Aug 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hey,chevyman, i see you are already finding goodys!first take that led ,and look to see if you can see any thing inside that appears to be bubbles,they would be tiny so maybe the edges,somtimes obsid,will have micro bubbles in it,hard to see tho,dont know of any obsid,around here tho.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
chevyman75

chevyman75

Dec 22, 2013
clarion, pa
Detector(s) used
discovery 3000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Loco there is some specs in there but they dont look like bubbles. Almost like solid dirt or sand between layers maybe?!

Upvote 0

loco oro

Aug 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
can you discribe the layers?its prob,not obsid. schorl,which is black tourmaline,may be what you have, tourm,will flouresce under uv lights usually light blue,but dont know if schorl does,or not,leds produce all spectrum of light ,including uv,perhaps this is your purple coloring?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
chevyman75

chevyman75

Dec 22, 2013
clarion, pa
Detector(s) used
discovery 3000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I will try to get a pic of the stone over the led with my good camera and try to show the layers and little sand pieces or whatever it is. . But The layers are tight almost like old time glass its about the best i can describe it as.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
chevyman75

chevyman75

Dec 22, 2013
clarion, pa
Detector(s) used
discovery 3000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No its not really glass like just only way could describe the layers. Its more like a rock. Uneven surface and all.

Upvote 0

Brian T. Booth

Feb 28, 2013
Glasgow KY
Detector(s) used
Minelab: Eureka Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a rock. It is black and shiny just looking at it and when an led light is put under it its a really dark purple with little specs in it and other then the edges is a lighter purple. I tried to post a photo but i cant figure it out on this kindle fire.. will try and post a picture later or tomorrow. Figured maybe this would be enough to maybe identify

In the second pic you can see what looks to be conchodial cleavage. I think you have glass. Normally garnets, tourmaline or any other precious to semi precious mineral won't be just laying in a field. It might be really old glass. Look around the field where you found that piece. You could possibly find old glass bottles.

Upvote 0

Brian T. Booth

Feb 28, 2013
Glasgow KY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a rock. It is black and shiny just looking at it and when an led light is put under it its a really dark purple with little specs in it and other then the edges is a lighter purple. I tried to post a photo but i cant figure it out on this kindle fire.. will try and post a picture later or tomorrow. Figured maybe this would be enough to maybe identify it

In the second pic you can see what looks to be conchodial cleavage. I think you have glass. Normally garnets, tourmaline or any other precious to semi precious mineral won't be just laying in a field. It might be really old glass. Look around the field where you found that piece. You could possibly find old glass bottles.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
chevyman75

chevyman75

Dec 22, 2013
clarion, pa
Detector(s) used
discovery 3000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ive never seen glass this color and where i found it was an old baseball field thats still in use as a small fair grounds. Ive been metal detecting it for a few yrs and never found any glass while digging my detector finds.

Upvote 0

HenryWaltonJonesJr

Sep 2, 2013
Downtown Chicago
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, AT Pro, Compadre, SeaHunter II, AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've found some of that extremely dark purple glass while beach hunting beach glass. Does the purple color come through everywhere or just at the sides and goes dark towards the center?

Upvote 0

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is probably Native American artifacts in that field it looks like a flake of Flint.. or obsidian.
Probably a reduction flake from flint knapping in the past

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
chevyman75

chevyman75

Dec 22, 2013
clarion, pa
Detector(s) used
discovery 3000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Henry it is light on the sides and darker in the middle. And thats what i was thinkin gator maybe obsidian but idk im new to this rock hounding so its puzzling lol to many look alike till i learn them haha

Upvote 0

Brian T. Booth

Feb 28, 2013
Glasgow KY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is probably Native American artifacts in that field it looks like a flake of Flint.. or obsidian.
Probably a reduction flake from flint knapping in the past

Unless it is a very, very thin piece of obsidian, I dont think light would pass through. Flint has a dull earthy luster. This has item a vitreous luster. That of glass and obsidian. But like I said unless you have a very very thin piece of obsidian, I dont think light is going to pass through.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread