Is this some kind of ore?

Leeroy jenkins!

Tenderfoot
Jan 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BEST2.jpg

Picture is of a rock i found near my house. I found some pictures of lead/silver mine claims on Ebay and alot of the rocks in the woods near by looked simmilar. Then i found rumors of lost mines in Missouri, then i found sink holes in woods and i hear of people finding old Roman coins here... Got me curious lol anyone know a simple way for me to test or could someone tell me if its just nothing but a rock from pic? the picture dosnt seem to have the best color because of the light. Any help is appreciated! and sorry if i posted this wrong or anything. My first time using this site XD

OP
OP
L

Leeroy jenkins!

Tenderfoot
Jan 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMAG0081.JPG IMAG0079.JPG

IMAG0078.JPG

IMAG0080.JPG

Sorry was hoping that first one would do it. This time I broke out the HD camera. Takes like 30mins per photo though :,( lol SLOW internet here out in the middle of nowhere XD

Upvote 0
Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
Kind of looks like pegmatite.What you think are sink holes could be caved in gas pockets,get your shovel out and start digging.

Upvote 0

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
Missouri is one big cave. Those sink holes are most likely whats called karst. It's when a cave ceiling collapses and a depression forms top side.
That's one way cavers use to find caves.
Mamabear might know your rock. I believe she's from MO.

Upvote 0

loco oro

Aug 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
is there any historical mining in the imediate area?old timers would test this way,even here the coal miners would dig test pits all over,50' 100' ft apart, searching for near surface veins.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
L

Leeroy jenkins!

Tenderfoot
Jan 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a silver mine 1 county over (New Madrid area once had a seashore; Rivers rerouted) scroll down just past the dinosaur stuff on that site to see info on area. I cant find much info on area since before it was America, but i have heard the spanish mined the "Taum Sauk mountain" But i dont know if thats true. The sink holes are about 70-100ft apart. I dug in one a while back but stoped because the dirt was so lose. I put a branch through the dirt and it was like never ending. Was a afraid it was a real sink hole XD

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Turkısh Man

Sep 17, 2012
Turkey
Detector(s) used
Gold Master +Carl Anderson PMR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
İt is a pegmatite rock,that contains varıous ore, precious and semi-precious mineral craystals.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It looks mineralized, but can't really say with what. It's a quartz vein by the way, doesn't look like pegmatite.
You may consider to crush and pan it or send to analysis.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread